TV problem: zebra-like pattern in DVD/ VCR playback

Hi

since a few days I have a problem with my TV set.

With DVD or VHS playback in dark scenes there are stationary zebra- like patterns of dark and light grey in B&W along the vertical sides of the screen. In colour only the dark stripes are visible. No such problems when watching tv.

The DVD is connected to the tv with an S-VHS connector, the VCR with a SCART cable. The tv antenna is plugged into the TV set (coax, circumventing the VCR). The TV has a second S-VHS terminal but this shows the same problem. This makes me think the problem lies with the TV.

Anyone an idea what causes this and if it can be repaired ? The TV is a 17 year old Panasonic CRT.

Thanks Bernard

Reply to
esie

Most likely there are some decoupler capacitors in the power supply and secondary voltage output supplies in the horizontal scan section that are going out of specs from aging.

Because of the age of the set, I would be careful about investing money in to it. There are other types of failures that can occur in an aged TV set. There are many proprietary parts in your TV that are no longer available. If any of these fail, the set would be scrap.

--

JANA _____

since a few days I have a problem with my TV set.

With DVD or VHS playback in dark scenes there are stationary zebra- like patterns of dark and light grey in B&W along the vertical sides of the screen. In colour only the dark stripes are visible. No such problems when watching tv.

The DVD is connected to the tv with an S-VHS connector, the VCR with a SCART cable. The tv antenna is plugged into the TV set (coax, circumventing the VCR). The TV has a second S-VHS terminal but this shows the same problem. This makes me think the problem lies with the TV.

Anyone an idea what causes this and if it can be repaired ? The TV is a 17 year old Panasonic CRT.

Thanks Bernard

Reply to
JANA

Try disconnecting the tv antenna, does the pattern observed with VCR/DVD go away?

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Hi all

I tried your suggestion this morning but the patterns were gone, the TV is functioning properly again. I have had some problems with mains pollution in the past that affected my stereo, it's the only thing I can think of that can explain this.

Thanks for your efforts Bernard

Reply to
esie