TV interference-snow

Hi, My TV picture is being interrupted for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes by fairly heavy snow, and I'd like to know if and how it's fixable. It's a recent development, and I haven't changed or added anything electronics-wise to the room. The TV is an ancient color Zenith hooked up to Time Warner Digital Cable, but I don't think the problem is with the cable as I have a vcr hooked up to the cable too, and video is recorded cleanly. Playback from the vcr, however, also gets interrupted by the snow, as does the tv picture when I skip the cable box altogether and plug the cable directly into the TV. The picture is great, as it always has been, otherwise. I do live in an apartment building so I guess it could be something new a neighbor has that's causing the interference, but I don't have a clue what and I'd like to be able to go to Radio Shack to pick up something or other that would fix this if possible. Last piece of hopefully useful info, I have another ancient color Zenith in another room hooked up to the same cable line and I'm not having any problem there.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reply to
Sue

You would be best to try another TV at the exact same connection, incase it is something like the cable splitter, a connector, or the wiring.

Did you check that all the connections are good in you home?

If the TV is at fault, this may be a failing component in the AGC circuit, or the RF amp stage in the tuner. If it is an involved tuner problem, the tuner module is replaced.

It is also possible to have a cold solder connection in these areas as well.

This type of fault is not going to be solved using parts from RS. You will need to have the set properly serviced if the fault is internal to the TV.

In cosideration of the age of your TV sets, it may be a better decision to replace them with new ones than put money in to them.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Thanks for the reply. Naturally I would replace the TV if it turns out that's the source of the problem. I am in the process of swapping out cables and connectors as you advised and have eliminated the possibility that it's the wiring. Swapping the TVs is unfortunately impracticable. I gather that even though this seems to my layman's eye to be a problem of interference, ie. someone in an apartment near mine added some electronic equipment that's interfering sporadically with my picture, that the reality is that's impossible unless there's something wrong on my end?

Reply to
Sue

When it happens, can you tap it on the side and get the picture back? How old is "ancient"?

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre