TV antenna rotor box not working

One of our TV sets is linked to a roof-mounted antenna controlled by one of those rotor boxes (ours is an Alliance brand, made by the Genie company.)

The rotor box began to malfunction a few weeks ago, taking a long time to move after the dial was turned.

Now it's gotten worse. It might move one click when you turn the dial, but usually doesn't move at all. The dial face does light up.

Any idea what the problem is?

Reply to
Al

Hi...

Clean and lubricate it?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Without knowing voltage readings, and having some type of reference to what is actualy supposed to be there, your question is very ambegious.

It is very common that the motors, being exposed to all kinds of weather condtions, will eventauly fail after a number of years. It is also common that the power supply in the rotor unit can also be failing. There are a number of other control components involved as well.

I would suggest you call in a service person who is familiar with this type of repair.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

Most likely the motor/gearbox on the roof would be the problem. The rotor box is just the power supply, switch and indicator of what direction the antenna is rotating. The indicator is pulsed around by a solenoid in the box receiving it's voltage from a cam switch in the motor/gearbox on the roof. If the indicator is not moving, the rotors not moving. Other possibility could be wire connections bad.

Reply to
John J.Turley

First thing to do is to check the voltage output of the transformer inside the control box. As memory serves, it should be around 24 VAC. If you don't have the proper transformer voltage while the rotor is in operation, I.E., trying to turn the antenna, look no further. You have a bad transformer. You might find a suitable replacement at a RadioShack store, if you can find one that still stocks parts.

Next, check the contacts of the switch behind the dial, and also the solenoid switch contacts. If they're pitted or dirty, clean and burnish the contacts. Check to see if that fixed the problem. Next... Inside the control box is an AC capacitor that enables the motor in the rotor unit to be reversible. Don't know exactly which model you have, and the value of that capacitor may be different over the years of manufacture. Find and check the value of that capacitor, especially its ESR. If you don't have the equipment to do that, you might save yourself time and frustration by replacing it with a new one. These are usually AC electrolytics rated for motor run duty. Make sure your replacement is an AC capacitor. You can also use a metallized polypropylene capacitor with an AC rating of 100VAC or more (assuming that the operating voltage of the mtor is

24VAC).. If that doesn't fix your problem, the next step is to get to the rotor unit and open it up. Check that the motor is not locked up from dried grease or rust. Could also be that one or more wires have broken. Make sure that the cable from the control box to the rotor is in good condition... all wires have continuity from the control box to the rotor. Cheers!!!
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

There's actually some fellow on the web that services and sells Alliance brand rotors. I've picked his brain a time or two for the Aliance rotors I have and he gave me repair info freely, though it was 5 or 6 years back.

Here's a few links:

You can ask over at the first link, the Hammer's over there are only to happy to give you what info they have on these rotors.

The second link will take you to Norm's rotor service, he has all the rights for Alliance brand rotors and can sell you any part you might need.

I quite like my Alliance rotors, they seem to just run and run. My oldest is about 40 years old, the other about 30 or so. I have a tv antenna on one and have the other rigged up for a surveillance camera for my property. It's set about 50 ft. o so on the roof corner and gives me a birds eye view of all activity on my property.

Reply to
none