Turntable drive belt.

Hi all, I'd like to get my wife's old turntable up and running for the hol idays. It's a Dual CS505-2 and I need a new belt. Any favorite places to buy such gear. I'm in the US. I found LPgear selling it for ~$20. I didn 't look much further 'cause I figured I could ask here.

Thanks,

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

There is a site, lpgear.com that shows dual belts

Reply to
Wond

EBay shows for $9.75 and free shipping.

Thanks,

George H.

Reply to
John Keiser

I paid at least ten dollars for a replacement belt for my Lenco L133 (from

1978) about 6 years ago. It was a local place, still carrying that kind of stuff.

My first thought was "that's expensive for a bit of rubber", and I did wonder if the place was charging for rent on the item, upping the price to justify keeping the belts around.

But then I thought "I've had this turntable since 1978, paid good money back then, and there's never been a problem" so spending ten or whatever dollars on it was a small amount to get it starting faster (it was still working with the old belt, which was the original belt, it just needed me to spin the turntable a bit to get going).

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

olidays. It's a Dual CS505-2 and I need a new belt. Any favorite places t o buy such gear. I'm in the US. I found LPgear selling it for ~$20. I di dn't look much further 'cause I figured I could ask here.

If the rubber is badh, you'd be wise to check the lubricants so that the ot her parts don't wear out quickly.

Reply to
stratus46

In 2006-ish, I bought replacement belts for my cassette-based answering machine from the local electronic supply store. I first inquired at a couple of places that still advertised TV/VCR/stereo repairs. One didn't have any leads and the other steered me to the store. At that time, either I couldn't find an online source, or I didn't mind paying a little more to see the belts in person.

I found that it helped to know about what I wanted before I went in there. A lot of audio belts seem to be made or supplied by "PRB" or maybe "EVG", which are both tentacles of Russell Industries. Russell doesn't seem to sell onesy-twosey to humans; only to companies.

says (PDF page

146) that a Dual "CS-505/-1" takes an "FRY13.1" belt; no word on a CS505-2. The specifications on PDF page 275 say that an FRY13.1 subs to an FRX13.1, which is 13.1 inch inside circumference, 0.140 inches wide, and 0.031 inches thick.

If the particular shop really does sell belts, they will also have the little measuring jig that can measure yours - basically a sliding ruler with round pegs at the ends. If they measure an old belt, they subtract a fudge factor of a few percent (stretch) to get the replacement belt.

You appear to be somewhere in New York state. If you're near NYC, I feel really confident that *somebody* in town still has one on the shelf; elsewhere I am not as sure. Russel Industries has an address on Long Island, but I don't know if they have a "will call" counter.

The cassette belts were smaller, like 2 inches ID, and I recall them selling for $2 or $3 each. This is somewhat of a hazy memory, though.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I don't have alisting for

Reply to
dansabrservices

I don't have a listing for your model, but I do have many belts for turntab les. Shoot me an Email directly at the address below and I'll get you what you need. TT belts usually go for $8-$10. I have many in stock from year s of servicing. I'm located in Ma.

Dan

DansABRservices at yahoo dot com

Reply to
dansabrservices

George,

I generally get my Dual parts from South Street Service

who are an excellent choice for Dual parts in general. Some of the aftermarket belts are of questionable fit and quality. Don't forget to clean the drive surfaces of old rubber before installing the new belt. Also, at this age, the turntable may need a general maintenance service and lubrication.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Tim is right. Back when I was in audio repair, PRB belts would sometimes double the wow and flutter of some cassette decks and turntables than if the original belts were used.

Reply to
chuck

e holidays. It's a Dual CS505-2 and I need a new belt. Any favorite place s to buy such gear. I'm in the US. I found LPgear selling it for ~$20. I didn't look much further 'cause I figured I could ask here.

Hi guys, Thanks for all the responses. I was a bit it a hurry to get some thing ordered so I just went with an online place. (Vintage electronics II RC)

George H.

Reply to
ggherold