trouble getting this circuit to work

Came across this circuit to be used as a dual coil ignition coil driver recently and tried building it. However, despite all efforts, I can't get it to work:

If you read the description, you'll see that the included line voltage doubler is required if the circuit is to be operated from 120 v line. Therefore, I am using the doubler also.

Here's all I can get from the circuit. I use between a 25 and 60 watt incandescent in series with the 120 v input to the doubler for protection of the circuit. When I plug in the circuit, I hear no sparks nor is there any hum of the included ignition coil. Sometimes the 60 watt bulb will light brightly as the circuit is plugged in; othertimes the bulb does not light at all. Adjusting the variable resistor has no effect on the brightness of the light bulb if it's on and if no light bulb, pot adjustment won't light it either. I've been told that the top and middle leads of QD1 need switched (in other words QD1 top goes to ground and QD1 middle goes to R2/diode junction). Tried that and still no response.

This seems like it should be a simple circuit to troubleshoot, but I am out of practice for some time and not sure where to start. I've checked L1 out of circuit and it still has the proper resistance. I've also replaced the pot since adjusting it was getting me nothing, and still nothing with a new pot. The output from the doubler is correct at 300+ volts. Tried switching ignition primary wires, but still no effect. Instinct tells me that QD1 might be bad. Is there any way I can measure it out of circuit to be sure? What would resistances be between terminals?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Grafton

Assuming this is a "legitimate" circuit that /should/ work, all I can offer is the obvious...

Check that all the parts are "good".

Have someone else go over your wiring. It's so easy to make a mistake, even in such a simple circuit.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You do realize, using a voltage doubler like that, the low side must be floating on the circuit? or at least away from the mains.

In other words, you can not have your (-) of that circuit to the common of the supply.

Putting that aside..

It's possible your light bulb load is not allowing the cap to charge long enough before the trigger circuit fires.

"

Reply to
Jamie

If he's measuring a constant 300 V on the HV input, then that's not the problem.

You really need an oscilloscope to see what's happening at the junction of R1 and C1 - it should be sawtooth as C1 charges and eventually triggers QD1. You can also AC-couple your DMM if it doesn't already have a blocking capacitor on the AC range and see if there's any activity there.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

On Jan 4, 4:05=A0am, "John Grafton" wrote: > Came across this circuit to be used as a dual coil ignition coil driver > recently and tried building it. =A0However, despite all efforts, I can't get > it to work: >

2001-... >

If you use a 'scope as Sam Goldwasser suggested (excellent advice) GET AN ISOLATION TRANSFORMER !!!

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

I got it to work. Bad quadrac and improper schematic. However, I do have another question. This circuit is made to be able to run two ignition coils in parallel for maximum output. I have the two GM HEI coils that it calls for, but they are slightly different and I am unsure how to parallel the HV side. Better shown than explained:

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, John

John Grafton