Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem

Someone gave me one of these that he says smoked. I found a small
burned diode,  (looks like a 1N4000 series size) on the regulator
board.This diode was soldered accross C1 with the cathode connected to
the positive terminal of C1.This part looks like it must have been a
production change as all other parts are labled on the board but this
one the board is not labled for it and so it looks like it was a
factory modification. Tripp Lite won't help me at all with this
problem. So I was hoping that someone might have run into this before
who might have any information on this and/or perhaps a schematic that
they could share. Thanks for any help. Lenny

Re: Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem

WelI I haven't replaced it as of yet because I don't know if it was
just a diode or a zener. And not knowing this and what else might be
wrong I wouldn't want to compound the problem. Lenny

Re: Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem

If it's a zener it would be clamping voltage on a reg circuit. Not
knowing what C1 is or does it's hard to say what its function is but
I would take an educated guess and say it's not a zener. I suppose you'll
need to figure out how C1 plays into the circuit. Personally I would ramp
the source up using a variac and watch what kind of voltage developed
where the cathode should be and take into consideration C1's rated
voltage and maybe develop a  schematic in my head.

Re: Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:28:11 -0800 (PST) klem kedidelhopper

Reverse voltage protection for the cap?

Re: Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem
I saw a reference to the T-L PR-60 PSU schematic being available at this
website (in 2005)
http://www.cbtricks.com /

I don't see the schematic listed, but an email to someone at CB Tricks may
be worthwhile.

Otherwise, a voltage regulator circuit isn't extremely complicated, and many
examples can be found in the ARRL Handbooks (library) or various online
plans.

--
Cheers,
WB

Re: Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem

Is there a crowbar scr in there? It could be a zener used as an overvoltage
protector.

tm

Re: Tripp Lite PR60 power supply problem

I tried to register on their site but it was an excercise in
frustration. How would I contact anyone there?
Lenny

Site Timeline