Tree pruning laser?

They want ten grand to chop the tops of three pines, so I got to (uh oh) thinking what if I could put a laser on a drone. Then I realised the power is too much, so you would need a cable. The power supply could be to heavy for the drones they sell at BJ. Could you do it from ten feet away or would you lose focus/strength? What do such devices cost anyway? Industrial ones can be pretty costly. Probably a pipe dream, but worh asking. Might be able to avoid it all by asking the power company to do it. Besides, I just ordered a replacement blade for my Fiskars tree pruning pole (but it is still not easy to get to the desired point. Apparently they foresaw tree pruning lasers at the 1964 World's Fair (for which my house was part of the parking).

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

I think the hassles getting aerospace clearance would make it uneconomic.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Indeed, easier to simply put a chain saw on a drone (really ducking!).

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Done:

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I would use a drone to loop a fishing line nylon, up around the tree at required height, and down . Use that to run a rope around the same path . Bang a good ground anchor in the ground and winch the top of the tree over. Then make some sort of running guide to fix a chain saw to a rope and pull that up the rope while it is running, while I'm standing well away of course. Require some extra ropery to get the angles and cutting progress though

Reply to
N_Cook

It would be way cheaper to have the drone string some det cord. An old ordnance guy my dad knew used to do that--works great at smallish diameters.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Pull the top of the tree over , as detailed earlier, then it would be easier to use such cutting wire close to vertical action, much safer than chain saw whirlygigs

Reply to
N_Cook

OKAY, that is scary (new horror film coming?)...however the drone killers should be able to take it down. Interesting that even balloons were sufficient - so one could launch small weather balloons that have a maximum height (pin pop by altitude) around a drone? Safe at airports...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

You can take a chain saw chain and push out one pin. Then fashion ends to the chain. Pull it up to the branch with your rope and then pull back and forth to cut the branch. They actually sell these commercially, they have a very light line with a weighted bag on the end of the heavier rope.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Those have also been invented and are known to work well. They're called "barrage balloons". Unlike the drone propellers getting tangled with the rubber balloons, the WWII version had the German bombers smashing into the tethering cable, suspended nets, or sometimes cables strung between balloons.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I remember a barrage balloon site just across the fence from the farm where I grew up on the North Downs in the UK, but I don't recall hearing whether that particular installation brought down a German plane. My mother and I went to stay with family far away from London for part of WWII.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

That was before my time. As I understand it, the barrage balloon were modestly effective against low flying threats, such as V1 flying bombs and JU87 dive bombers. They did little against high flying threats, specifically high altitude bombers, and nothing against the V2 rocket. Some details and numbers:

For defense against low flying chainsaws, I would recommend simply suspending any style of entanglement wires from an aerostat (stationary balloon). It's quite difficult to see small obstructions from a FPV (first person view) drone. Running into a dangling cable would destabilize the drone, even if the turbines (propellers) were shrouded. If sucked into the chainsaw, the wires would become entangled in the cutting mechanism. The dangling wires could also be configured as "aerial mines" which would explode on contact.

However, all this requires an unobstructed air space to deploy the aerostats. Using this system to defend a stand of timber might be problematic.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Mpfffff. Either a 12-gauge for when the drone is moving at treetop level, or a brush gun (35 Remington or 45-70) for when it is hovering. Positive, a nd low-tech. However, this may be an uniquely American response. Brits, on the other hand do have their Purdys.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

As in "The Avengers"?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

As in the Avengers, certainly. Hand made shotguns in the 5 and 6 figure range.

Reply to
pfjw