Transformer repair

** Techs often get a sinking feeling when they discover a burnt AC power transformer in a device. The unit simply blows fuses at switch on and cannot be seen to work at all - so maybe it has other serious faults. Also, exact replacement transformers are often not available or else involve a long wait and high cost.

Had one this week, a baby size 6VA tranny in the PSU for a new looking " Mojave" valve microphone. The PSU has an IEC inlet and a switch for 115V and 230V AC power - some goose had tried to use it with 240VAC and the switch set to 115V !!!

The burnt tranny had two secondaries, 9V at about 300mA and 120V at about

25mA - so nothing off the shelf would do. The local importer was blaze and any replacement would involve a long wait. The PSU case is very compact, so it was simply impossible to fit two transformers to get the required voltages.

The tranny looks similar to the one in this pic:

I decided to pull the old one apart and see if the burnt primary could be re-wound. There was over 2000 turns of hair fine wire that had merged into a solid lump since the enamel had melted and then reset. Eventually it all came off in clumps by using nippers and a sharp blade to cut it open.

Luckily, I had on hand a new ( 240V primary ) transformer with the identical core and bobbin size. So I pulled that apart too.

THEN it became clear that, with a bit of trimming and sanding, the half bobbin holding the primary from the new tranny could be teamed with the half bobbin holding the ( good) secondary from the old one and it would all fit together nicely.

I managed to get all but one of the original lams back inside the two bobbins ( now held together with Silastic) and fitted the steel cover frame back over the lot. Gave it all a squash in the bench vice for good measure.

Result: A new transformer that works perfectly and now so does the mic.

Total cost $6 and about 2 hours time, it will be quicker if I ever have to do it again.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Was this the PSU?

Both PSU's for both Mics in this picture are identical internally, apart from one has different value Zeners to produce the HT for the different mics.

In this case the PCB's are both marked at 9v5AC and 200v AC at the TX inputs. The S.E. Electronics one has a shorted primary (One Zener dead also).

Just wondering if all these cheapo tube mics are all made in the same factory.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"Gareth Magennis"

** No, this mic is an MA-200.

The AC tranny is smaller and mounted off the PCB.

** Not so cheapo here in Aussie - the RRP is $1300.

I expect that most like it are coming from the same Chinese maker.

BTW:

The MA-200 uses a type 5840W sub-miniature pentode with wire leads.

Connected as a cathode follower and with a DC heater supply - it's as QUIET as a mouse.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

OK, cheers.

Both mine use ECC83. The HST had a cheap chinese one that sounded like a mouse caught in a sandstorm.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

nice save. I'd never have sat there counting thousands of turns.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

"Cydrome Leader"

** I thought so....

** I did no turn counting, remember the burnt primary was a solid lump.

The 2000 plus turns figure was an estimate based on the core cross section ( 0.4 sq inch ) and a rule of thumb about turns per volt. The wire was

0.12mm dia and that computed a similar number to fill the bobbin.

My working assumption was that for identical cores, 230V @ 50Hz primaries ought to be all the same - especially so when the Chinese mass produced both examples I had.

Turned out to be a very good assumption.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This bodes well for the future, perhaps the Chinese have indeed unwittingly done us all a favour.

The transformer I have here in the SE Electronics PSU appears to be of similar construction to yours. Likewise a pair of Tannoy powered monitors also appears to follow the same design but obviously scaled up a lot.

I guess it would make perfect sense if, say, one factory was making all the transformers, that they would have a modular system in place. i.e. a few different VA sizes of cores with standard plug-in primaries, and producing secondaries to order.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

This is how it works for the most part. There are standard sizes of cores/laminations and bobbins.

For high volume stuff, you might start to see customized parts like bobbins and other mounting stuff.

I asked a transformer designer how he designs custom transformers. The short answer was grab a previous design from the filing cabinet because anything anybody wants has already been designed. Sometimes people want different lead colors, and everybody gets a new part number.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Hmm, I'm not sure that in the real world you could easily take a transformer from a random piece of equipment and replace the primary.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"Phil Allison"

** The same idea may be also used when presented with 100V or 120V devices made for the Japanese and USA markets and need conversion to 230/240 V power.

Just gotta find a tranny that uses the same size SPLIT bobbin.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

be

nto

it

n.

alf

ic.

This may sound like a stupid question, and at the risk of insult I had to ask. You never mentioned it but I'm just curious Phil did you check the mic out using separate power supplies before going to all that trouble, just in case the unit supplies as well as the amp was fried? Usually what you described generally, (as you found) just opens a primary and/or a fuse but you never know. Around here transformers get blown up by lightning all the time. I've subbed transformers in microwave ovens and othr equipment with some degree of success but I usually try to check out the boards on the bench first.

By the way, while we're having this discussion, it seems like I recall some time ago seeing a small article somewhere about how to determine the secondary voltage or voltages of a transformer with an open primary. Of course you can come close by looking at the voltage ratings on the electrolytics that are closest to the secondaries but this method didn't involve that or dis assembly either. In any event Phil I applaud you you all your work in repairing that transformer. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

"klem kedidelhopper"

This may sound like a stupid question, and at the risk of insult I had to ask. You never mentioned it but I'm just curious Phil did you check the mic out using separate power supplies before going to all that trouble, just in case the unit supplies as well as the amp was fried?

** This was the scenario:

  1. The mic and its PSU looked brand new.

  2. The primary of the AC tranny had visible damage and smelt burnt.

  1. The secondary winding look fine.

  2. There was no fuse in the clip associated with the IEC inlet and a new one blew at a low AC voltage.

  1. The primary read 26 ohms when it should have read 700 ohms or so.

  2. The secondary ohmage readings looked good at 3.5 and 450 ohms.

  1. After I pulled the tranny apart and cut away the primary winding, the secondary tested the correct 9:120 ratio.

  2. The PSU consisted only of rectifiers, resistors and zeners - all of which looked fine.

  1. There was an IEC lead in the case with the mic fitted with a US style 3 pin plug.

The fact that over heating occurred ONLY in the primary and NOT in the secondary windings proved that there was no overload applied to secondary of the tranny.

It had to be an AC supply over voltage that caused the damage.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

one

=A0all of

le 3

of

I'm wondering though if a secondary is supposed to deliver say 20 volts with a 120V primary and it's hit with 240 then that secondary will produce 40 volts out. If that 40 volts happens to be the input to a regulator then perhaps the amplifier can survive until the transformer primary opens, but maybe that 40 volts might be rectified, and unregulated and is then applied to the first stage. And then that's all she wrote. It sounds like luckily you didn't have to deal with any of that. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

"klem kedidelhopper"

I'm wondering though if a secondary is supposed to deliver say 20 volts with a 120V primary and it's hit with 240 then that secondary will produce 40 volts out.

** Totally wrong !!!!!

Try it yourself and see what REALLY happens.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm not criticizing your deductions and how you arrived at them. Your theories do make a lot of sense. I've never tried this, (over voltage to a primary) knowing that it would be a destructive test. I guess that I didn't explain this properly. I just thought that perhaps the momentary 240V surge into the 120V primary might cause the 20V secondary voltage to approach 40V before the primary opened, (unless the transformer saturated first)? Even so I think there would still exist the possibility of a significant over voltage before all this happened. And if this AC supply was merely being rectified and filtered but not regulated, I would suspect some possible damage from over voltage to the electronics further down the line. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

"klem kedidelhopper"

** Fuck off - you illiterate, bloody imbecile.
Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm confused. I would have thought that, at least for the first instant, the turns ratio means there would be 40 VAC on the output, until the primary's turns start shorting together as the enamel combusts because of heating caused by the excessive input current.

If this is a correct analysis, then the question becomes, does an instantaneous overvoltage on the secondary damage any downstream circuitry here?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

I have to say Phil I can always count on you to liven up the discussion if anyone ever has an opinion or even a thought other than yours. It really is rather refreshing when it's all said and done. We're all ignorant imbeciles, morons and fuckwits whom you've tolerated. I truly don't know what we would do without you there to continuously correct us. I suppose we should all be grateful for the consideration and latitude you've so graciously afforded us. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

"spamtrap1888"

I'm confused. I would have thought that, at least for the first instant, the turns ratio means there would be 40 VAC on the output, until the primary's turns start shorting together as the enamel combusts because of heating caused by the excessive input current.

** Nope.

Magnetic saturation is an instantaneous phenomenon.

The cores of most small transformers operate well into saturation, even at rated voltage - so doubling the incoming primary voltage causes complete core saturation and the primary side current flow is limited only by the resistance. The RMS current goes up by 5 or 10 times the normal level.

Crucially, the secondary voltage rises only slightly due to a large voltage drop being caused by the primary's resistance.

A correctly rated fuse will blow immediately and the event is all over.

With the PSU in question, the AC fuse was missing - but very likely had been replaced with a larger one at some stage.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison