Toshiba TV Model CX36H60 Turns on by Itself

I have a 36" Toshiba, Model CX36H60 (TAC9813) that will turn on by itself, intermittently. It has done this 3 times in the last 6 or 7 days. When this happens, the remote control will not control any function of the TV. Pushing the power button on the TV will turn it off. Then the TV will once again function normally and remote control will work the TV as it should. The last time it came on by itself, I pushed the channel button on the TV and the TV turned off and then back on by itself within a couple of seconds. I am thinking that it could possibly be a cap in the power supply, or a loose connection. Has any one ever run into a Toshiba exhibiting this type of behavior that can steer me in the right direction?

Reply to
jir

I just had a magnavox 20" do that. You could hit the side of the set and make it come on. Hit it again and it would go off.

Pushing the "ON" button did nothing.

It turned out to be a cold soilder joint in the power supply.

db

Reply to
D-unit

Did someone spray cleaner on the screen and let it run down ? it can drip on the circuit board right on the buttons inside .

Reply to
Ken G.

  1. Make sure the mechanical power button is all the way out, i.e. not halfway pushed in.
  2. Cover the remote sensor window with black tape for a while and see if it still comes on when not requested.
--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
        Three feet

Thanks to all for giving advice on what to look for. I will try to check it out this weekend and will post my findings. JR

Reply to
jir