Toshiba SDV398 Stops recording prematurely

Toshiba SDV398 VHS/DVD combo with built in tuner.

Everything works but occasionally it stops recording about 15 minutes short of programmed time. The clock keeps the correct time and the tape is new.

--
Boris
Reply to

short

with a stop watch , check it is exactly 15 minutes to the second or just plus or minus 5 minutes say, for 1 , 2 and 3 hour records , also try with 3 hour and 4 hour tapes to see if there is a difference

Reply to
N_Cook

new.

be

keep

If

the most likely reason. Either loss of friction in a slip clutch or wear in a pivot allowing a pulley in the jockey wheel assembly to touch the chassis, both situations when sufficient diameter of tape has built onto the take-up spool to trigger the loss of drive

Reply to
N_Cook

It never fails on playback. Could there be some subtle transport load difference between record and playback?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

My first VCR, circa 1981, had a timer problem connected with an incorrectly designed chip. If you set it to (say) start recording at 11:30PM and stop at

1:00AM, it would often quit at midnight.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

incorrectly

at

So a divide by zero / year 2000 type problem with that one. I would have set the clock 12 hours out on that one, assuming only recording over midnight and never noon Perhaps the OP should take a careful note of times , assuming there is a timecode recorded , then see if there is a consistency in the drop out times at recording.

Reply to
N_Cook

I just looked through my repair tips , maybe relevant

Ferguson FV21 Manual record and short lead-time timed record OK but failure of overnight record. Replaced the the 3 small electrolytics on the clock / timer panel and broke / inspected /remade all connections and also at someone's suggestion tightened all earthing point through-pcb screws on the various boards.Somewhere along the line must have effected a cure.

Reply to
N_Cook