Toshiba rear projection bowed picture and color separation

It's a model TP55D80 and the picture has separated into 3 (RGB), and contracted in the middle. It's sort of a "fishbowl" effect. It's been a slowly increasing issue. It's 55" and I won't be able to afford to either replace or have it repaired for some time.

Reply to
juan valdez

Why have you kept using it while it was malfunctioning? That's just asking to cause a lot more damage.

Did the convergence gradually get worse over time, or did it snap in and out?

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Art

If you casn't afford to replace or repair it then why have you posted this message???

The problem is probably on the convergence board. That's the circuit that causes the three promary colors to be properly aligned to produce a viewable image. A qualified technician needs to troubleshoot the TV. The repair will (probably) involve replacing a few ICs, and checking/replacing some resistors and/or capacitors on the same board. When you can afford the repair, call a repair shop and have them send someone to look at it.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

One doesn't have to be a qualified technician to repair a convergence problem, but basic soldering and desoldering skills are required, as well as a an understanding of basic safety and component identification in regards to TV servicing. There's enough info in the FAQ for a reasonably savvy novice to repair a problem like that.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
juan valdez

Resolder any cracked solder joints on the convergence board and you'll likely be good to go. You may have blown the convergence chips by running it with it snapping in and out like that in which case it's usually $50-$100 for a new set but you might get lucky and fix it by just resoldering.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have a fair capability as far as electronics soldering goes. I also have a basic understanding of safety from making jacob's ladders from old TV guts. At least I'm pretty sure what NOT to mess with. I apologize for being naive, but where is the FAQ?

BTW I'm going to attempt this repair regardless of the danger. So I appreciate your input. As far as any flames go... although I do possess common sense, obeying it only seems do make life dull.

Thanks for your assistance.

Reply to
juan valdez