Toshiba DVD-ROM drive SD-M1212

This might seem like a strange question to ask (or one that has an obvious answer), but...

I bought a lot of second-hand DVD-ROM drives. All are of varying vintage, and all of them work perfectly except this one Toshiba SD-M1212 drive. Optically and electrically it is fine. I can load a disc, set everything up manually, and put the unit back together far enough that a CD or DVD will play perfectly after applying power.

The problem is that the tray mechanism appears to be out of time. By itself that shouldn't be a big problem. I've repaired optical drives with tray mechanisms that had jumped time many times in the past.

I cannot get the tray mechanism back in time on this drive. It doesn't help matters that I can't see or get at the gears when I'm putting the tray back on the track after timing everything correctly. (Or at least trying to time things correctly.) There is no damage to gear teeth, and the loading motor (which is connected by a gear instead of a belt in this drive) has plenty of torque.

I'd like to try and fix it just to keep something else out of the landfill. I'm just wondering if this particular drive has a special procedure or action that needs to be taken to get it going again.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh