Toshiba 36 inch tube vertical shrink problems...

I have a 36" tube Toshiba - model CF36G40 (Jan 97). The screen will sometimes shrink vertically with large black bands top and bottom. Sometimes it will actually expand such that the top and bottom are cut off. It does not seem to get worse or improve as the set warms up, but it is more frequent when watching a letterbox program.

I replaced capacitors C305, C308 and C320. Also, I reflowed some suspect looking solder joints while I was in there. This did not help at all. Same problem exists.

Any suggestions? I've read that C301 causes other problems. Any particular caps that I should replace or chips to reflow solder on maybe? I have a normal cap tester not a high frequency unit.

Thanks in advance. I normally work on rockets or pinball machines, not TV's.

John Cocoa Florida

Reply to
zeecarr1

Did you resolder the output IC?

========================== Jeff Stielau Shoreline Electronics Repair

344 East Main Street Clinton,CT 06413 860-399-1861 860-664-3535 (fax) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net ========================
Reply to
Shoreline Electronics

Thanks Jeff. I'm thinking it is a cold solder joint, since the problem is intermittent. Wouldn't a bad cap cause a problem that is always there? The shrinking is only about 10-20% of the time. The rest of the time the picture is fine.

Which one is the output chip?

John

Reply to
zeecarr1