Or is there another tool? Thanks.

Reply to
zirconx9

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Thats what I used when I put in my last remote starter. It was a lot of slow, careful work. I was hoping there was a tool that could do this quickly and without risk of cutting the wire.

Reply to
zirconx9

You can buy those in dollar stores.

Most of us use a pocket knife - carefully, so as to not nick the wire.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

oh, you want to strip the wire without taking/cutting the conecctors of , ?? buy a cigarette lighter, soften/melt the plastic and QUICKLY pul the insulastion off with ya fingers. mark k

Reply to
mark krawczuk

Those strippers are for stripping the end only. Their specialty is that they "adjust" to the size of the wire automatically. This means they only remove 10% of the strands along with the insulation. ;-)

Seriously, you should use a better connector instead. You don't want to strip an inch of insulation off, you just want to displace enough insulation to make a connection. Something like these:

Try to find some that have a moisture resistant grease inside. This will not only keep water out, but the air too.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I use linemans plyers / dikes, but lots of people can't strip wire with them.. They are my favorite tool for stripping wire.

Michael Kennedy

Of these two the RS one is ideal for this purpose - provided you use the correct size for the cable, and the sizes provided by the jaws cover the cables in use. I've got just about every cable stripper known to man and although the automatic types sound like a good idea they simply don't match up to this type for stripping with no chance of conductor damage - provided as I say you use the correct 'notch' out of the four provided and make sure it's aligned on the cable. If you're sloppy about this it makes a good cable cutter. ;-) The snag is it needs more space to work than some other types.

This type is also of use as again won't damage the conductor but has to be manually adjusted. Couldn't find it on the RS site, but most electricians use them.

*Why is a boxing ring square?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's exactly the item that I was going to suggest as well. They are made for the job of in-line splicing, and do it very well.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I use a T-stripper, I love it.

James Sweet

And look like the bodge they are. ;-) You'll not find them used on a maker's harness.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you think that stripping an inch of insulation in the middle of a run is a better way to go? If so, you'll not be doing any wiring on my car. ;-) Short of soldering, I can't think of anything more reliable than IDC type crimp-ons. They're used all over the place in critcal applications. e.g. computer data cables, network and telephone industry etc. Auto makers use plenty of crimp-on pins too. :-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

90% of professional alarm installers use the T-Tap 3M connectors. They have a great track record and work well, and are used because of the speed in which they can be put in, as well as the fact you don't want to drop a hot soldering iron in a brand new corvette seat :-). If you use some 3M super 33 tape and wrap the harness for the alarm, and wrap your connections properly, when you finish it looks enough like the car harness that a thief is hard pressed to find the alarm wiring :-)

Jammy (Got stuck doing installs as well as repairs when I started in electronics)

Reply to
ampdoc

I don't know of any tool that would strip a section of wire other than at the end. Why not use 3M splicers like everyone else? They don't require anything except a pair of pliers. Way back when I started out in electronics one of my first jobs was installing auto accessories. I used those splicers all the time and can't recall every having a problem with them.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Heh, I just suggested these in a prior reply. I've used a ton of those without any problems.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

But they're not a crimp. Proper crimped connections are fine.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And 90% of aftermarket alarms are a problem within a few years. ;-)

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There you go, cheapest cutters and the most handy.. I have auto strippers and never use them. I can strip must faster with those simple ones.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

On 27 Mar 2007 20:35:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

I use several mentioned in this thread, including yours. I also use a "T-Rex" for ribbon cable and such like:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:23:44 +1000, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

Sorry, I just realised that you wanted to strip *without* cutting.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar