Today's lead free story, and a "Mr Cook" moment ...

Fender combo. Owner complained that sound level varied, or sound went off altogether for brief periods, after a half hour of use. Additional symptom was that the status LEDs on the footpedal flickered. He said that he'd looked it up on the net, and many people had reported that this problem was caused by the two ceramic feed resistors in the low voltage + and - rails, having bad joints. OK, we've all seen this, I guess. Anyways, unit would not fault on my bench, and no amount of pushing, prodding, poking, bashing, heating or freezing, would provoke it, so reluctantly, I had to remove the main board to get a look behind it. I say reluctantly, because it's a bit of a long winded job involving removal of all of the (grub screwed) knobs, pot nuts and washers, jack nuts and washers etc. When the board was out, I had a really detailed look at all the joints with a powerful light and my headband magnifier, but no joints actually looked bad anywhere, including on the two ceramic resistors. So I went for the Mr Cook test and grabbed the wires on those resistors one by one with pliers, and pulled. And Lo! On the third one, it pulled cleanly and easily from the joint, leaving the now dreaded 'volcano' behind. How much longer are we going to have to put up with this crap ? It's not as if it's the quick 'good little earner' that bad joints used to be when you could find them in a minute or two with a Biro pen, a can of freezer, and a Mk I eyeball ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

was

not

of

pot

headband

two

acknowledged

Reply to
N_Cook

Until we get out of EU?

Otherwise suggest forceful multiple feebdback to manufacturer on their quality failures.

--
Geo
Reply to

Any time I have a intermittent problem with a RoHS circuit board, I bring it to work and put it through an old Hollis wave soldering machine that still uses lead. Don't even bother to trouble-shoot first. Fuck lead free.

Reply to
JW

Well yes, that's all very well, but as a professional repairer, I'm unfortunately bound by law to use appropriate repair materials to preserve the bloody RoHS certification. It would be just my luck to finish up as the soldering equivalent of the poor sod who became known as "The Metric Martyr", and was jailed for selling his fruit and veg to old dears, using pounds and ounces ...

But I know exactly where you're coming from :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I know you have but I will say this anyway. Compared to pulling a certain Mackie 16 ch mixer apart where all sixteen channels are on one board, and where I counted 102 mini shaft nuts removed with needle nose because I didn't have a shaft nut driver that small, and an additional 48 philips screws just to replace one LED, your experience with the Fender is a walk in the park on a sunny day.

Meat Plow

was

not

of

pot

headband

two

I suppose as Fender is now a pseudo-American company then no warning green RoHS stickers on the outside or PbF or similar on the overlay. If companies, in general, were concerned about reliability AND have to live with PbF then they would have specified ring-barbs to be formed around any thru-board leads

Reply to
N_Cook

Its time for a full blown ROHS revolt. String the morons up on light poles as a warning to other idiot Beauracrats. :)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

While I wouldn't suggest such a drastic action (neutering them and their children would be more beneficial), I do applaud the goal.

The fact is that lead in the food chain IS a problem. Banning lead in paints (in particular paints used in children't toys), in the paints and glazes used on ceramic containers, etc is a very good idea. However when they reach the point of degrading the reliability of items which an infant would ever be able to chew on, they have gone beyond the bounds of reason. I have even heard an allegation (unverified) that there is a move to remove all books printed before

1970 because the ink may contain lead.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

Wimp! Why not do both? ;-)

Lead in solder is an alloy and less likely to form the lead based compounds that get into food. It would make more sense to make recycling easier. That would keep the solder in a closed loop. It would also help recover some precious metals that are lost in the waste stream.

They shouldn't be eating books. :)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh I know, Meat, I know ... Not so long back, I did a similar one with over

100 knobs. I had to take a picture of it to make sure they all went back where they should. Just putting the knobs back on took about a half hour, let alone all the nuts and washers ... !!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'm not so sure. Ever since 'they' removed lead from toys, house paint, gasoline, candle wicks, now solder, and gawd knows what else, we ("we": the U.S.) have had year after year of dumber and dumber children.

Don't get me started about how out of whack global weather has become since 'they' banned atmospheric testing of thermonuclear weapons...

Reply to
Spamm Trappe

OooOOOOooOOOooo my head aches! You reminded me of the 204 washers (102 under the shaft nuts and 102 on top of each pot under the board top) and

102 knobs on splined split pot shafts that WOULD NOT pull off by hand!!! :) Each had to be pried off with a flat screwdriver and small block of wood for a fulcrum. And all the knobs in each channel were different colors denoting the particular function (mains, buss, FX, etc...) making it a real pain in the ass because rather than just laying one channel out to remember the knob order I laid them all out so I wouldn't have to fish through a box of hundred different color knobs.

Next to the Kurzweil piano and its 88, 3 part mini leaf switches, that board was probably the most PITA thing I've ever worked on.

Meat Plow

ff

tom

was

ls,

d not

the

it of

pot

had a

dband

two

on

ed

his

ts

light

My wife bought another kitchen appliance (hand blender) the other day. Attached to the power cord was a warning... which I will paraphrase. "Warning this power cord contains lead. Lead is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects. Wash your hands after using." My nine year old son dutifully washed his hands. (He wanted to play with the new gadget.) I had a mini-rant in the kitchen.

This is wrong in so many ways it just boggles the mind.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There are traces of lead in some plastics used to make wire. I think it is part of the plasticiser needed to make the insulation flexible.

California isn't know as the land of fruits & nuts for nothing. :(

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I live in New Orleans. Every day 4 or 5 people die due to lead. Bullets.

Reply to
Herman

I take it you are offering yourself as an example.

Well, if you plot climate changes against atmospheric testing of thermonuclear weapons you don't get a very good match. Hoever, if you plot climate changes against CO2 levels you get a pretty good match.

Of course, both curves also match well to concentration of modulated radio waves in the electromagnetic spectrum; and to number of internal combustion engines.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

Point that out to the NRA. They will retaliater with reams of data 'proving' that handguns save lives.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

More proof that New Orleans should be backfilled.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They do, but you only see what you want to.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell