TO220 , TOP3 etc mounting washers ?

Not the usual nylon or whatever ones that I never trust for high temperatures (soften and deform over time, loosening thermal connection,runs hotter, melts more ...... Does anyone make them from whatever the plastic/mineral? is used for the body of power transistors themselves, what is that material , what is it called? . Maybe because of brittleness they would have to use smaller screws/bolts allowing larger washer thickness in the hole. I've got in the habit of cutting off the non-metal mounting parts of TOP66 type transistors, opening the holes of TO220 or TOP3 and using them as washers.

Or any other solution, modification?

N Cook

connection,runs

a pic of the usual low temp plastic insulating bushes

That 3.5 - 3.1 or 3.9 - 3.1mm dimension, divided into two, internal section, would probably be too breakable with that power transistor body material, if direct replacements

N Cook

Mounting 'kits' for power transistors cost more than many of the transistors themselves (over a dollar for a mica gasket and some screws and washers). You can cut a small length of PTFE (Teflon) tubing for the machine screw shaft, and use a piece of fiberglass-reinforced plastic (FRP) as a washer to hold off the head, I've used polyimide (Kapton) tape for the heatsink insulation barrier.

I'm not sure where my FRP washers came from, but the Teflon tubing, about gauge #9 for 4-40 screws, is a common laboratory supply item.

Reply to
whit3rd

Mounting 'kits' for power transistors cost more than many of the transistors themselves (over a dollar for a mica gasket and some screws and washers). You can cut a small length of PTFE (Teflon) tubing for the machine screw shaft, and use a piece of fiberglass-reinforced plastic (FRP) as a washer to hold off the head, I've used polyimide (Kapton) tape for the heatsink insulation barrier.

I'm not sure where my FRP washers came from, but the Teflon tubing, about gauge #9 for 4-40 screws, is a common laboratory supply item.

reply: I've plenty of sources of PTFE suitable for the insert part but no known sourse of suitable FRP. I wonder if fibre reinforced phenolic board would be suitable for the washer, I'll try heating some. Of course that washer part does not have to be circular and cutting it square with a hole would be easier.

N Cook

be

The washer part could be a disc or 2 of that stiff plastic material found inside power supplies where there is a chance that some component will touch the casing, next to a steel washer under the bolt/screw head. For that matter I don't see a problem of using a mica disc or 2 then a steel washer for that part.

[...]

Richco make a high temperature shoulder washer designated MNI-HT

The #4-220 is designed for the TO220 transistor mounting hole.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I can't say I've ever seen that myself.

You mean Mica. It's a natural mineral. And no, transistor bodies aren't made from mica btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Oh, the washer themselves ?

No, I've only ever seen nylon ones. You simply need to do them up tight with lockwashers. Personally, I prefer mounting devices 'live' or using spring clips to retain them.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Mica would simply crush.

Delrin would be nice but I don't know of anyone making washers in that.

Another way is to use nylon screws.

What on earth do you mean ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

known

would

part

touch

steel

But that is also nylon, just because they call it high temperature, does not necessarily mean it does not compress/creep in normal but highly elevated temperatures, leading to premature failure of device. The point is I'm after some insulated and mechanically strong enough alternative to plastic without having to drill into heatsinks for spring retention.

N Cook

MEC make thermoplastic transistor insulators that are rated up to 180c continuous. Farnell sells them.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 08:07:40 -0000, "N Cook" wrote: SNIP : : :But that is also nylon, just because they call it high temperature, does not :necessarily mean it does not compress/creep in normal but highly elevated :temperatures, leading to premature failure of device. :The point is I'm after some insulated and mechanically strong enough :alternative to plastic without having to drill into heatsinks for spring :retention.

Not all nylons are the same as you know. The normal nylon 6/6 from which the ordinary items are made should not be used over 49C but the items I mentioned are designed to operate up to 200C.

If you did some research on the material Polyphenylene Sulfide from which the Richco product is made you would find the following;

.. Plastic parts for SMD components are made of PPS (Polyphenylene sulfide) .. which is a high temperature material suitable for reflow soldering profiling. .. Temperature of operation: 200 ..C .. Flammability conformance : As per UL 94 V-O

Reply to
Ross Herbert

not

the

mentioned

the

sulfide)

profiling.

The point of this thread is not the ultimate melting temperature but the property of not creeping/deforming at sustained elevated temps of say 100 to

120 deg C. eg PTFE would be fine for the internal sleeve part of such bushes unless having to resist abnormal lateral forces. But it would it be reliable as the washer part.

N Cook

: :The point of this thread is not the ultimate melting temperature but the :property of not creeping/deforming at sustained elevated temps of say 100 to :120 deg C. :eg PTFE would be fine for the internal sleeve part of such bushes unless :having to resist abnormal lateral forces. But it would it be reliable as the :washer part.

One of the structural properties of PPS is "brittleness", which would indicate resistance to deformity. But don't take my word for it, take a look at a typical fibereglass filled PPS datasheet

in particular the mechanical and thermal properties. If these figures aren't good enough for you then any other superior solution is not likely to be readily available off-the-shelf.

Reply to
Ross Herbert