Three VCRs died at once (including an expensive one)

Had a bad week: Three VCRs seem to have died on me at the same time.

1 A Proscan (RCA) which runs happily on its auto-set record command once a week and I suspect that when it gets to the end of a tape, it cant eject so it rewinds and starts again. It has been working like this for some time. Sounds as if it is doing what it is supposed to do, including going through the recorded material marking the commercials. Trouble is that it wont actually turn on manually and play anything at all, neither with the switch or the remote: It just says LOCK and turns off again immediately

  1. A Sony SLV-N88 which wont play any tapes at all. They all start, the tape winds its way around the heads and the unit stops immediately and turns itself off. It's a bit like the old days when you had to open it up and replace the idler tyre. Do any units still operate in that way any more? (It HAS been sitting around for a while doing not particularly much)

4 An expensive Samsung SV5000W multi-system VCR/System Converter which stopped taking any commands at all. Looking inside it, I can see charring ALL around the circuit board where the DIP115 and 116 as well as QIP 106 and 116 components are. This is about 8 month safter Samsung did take back the unit and refurbish it. I doubt they will honour any warranty on this any more? Is this unit completely dead? I note that the internal fuse is still intact!

Lastly does anyone know if there is any practical difference between the SV5000 and the SV4000?

Reply to
news.rcn.com

In Child Lock, read this:

Take up reel not turning for whatever reason (bad idler tire etc..) or take up reel sensor bad.

Dead component in the power supply possible electrolytic caps. Have you experience with switch mode power supply repair or repair of consumer electronics on circuit level?

Don't know.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks for the answer Meat Plow: I have got the Proscan working again and will try to turn the tyre on the Sony if appropriate, - hoping it isnt much more than that As to the circuit repair, no I have no training to do this: It sounds as if the repair will likely cost more than a second hand SV5000? meanwhile I do still have an SV4000 which I have brought into service and can take my time looking for an SV5000 if I can find one cheap enough on ebay. (Pity there isnt even much point in keeping the SV5000 for parts!). I wonder what caused it to destroy itself in such a lenghy period of non-use.

Reply to
news.rcn.com

check load belt and clean mode switch. if the machine is less than

10-15 years old, it won't have idler tyres.

Nice machine, not your run-of the mill unit, well worth keeping, i would get a repair shop to take a look at the power supply.These are worth investing in.

good luck. B

You have somehow set the parental lock on the vcr to prevent a kid from ejecting a tape . Some vcr's require that you hold the power button in for ten second or so to unlock the vcr.

Sure sounds like belt slippage or mode switch problems.

GMAN

The N88 was a throw away exchange model . Sony even lists it as such under its parts ordering system. The only parts one might find are egenric belts for this unit.

Reply to
GMAN

Yes, that was why I asked the question

I suspected as much: I have two of these Sony chinese units which say loudly on them "Call sony for an exchange if this machine goes wrong" I think most of them are even sealed shut, arent they?

Yes, but are the electronics any different from the SV4000 which I also have?? Will it give any better picture or conversion of PAL recordings onto my Archos AV500?

Reply to
news.rcn.com