This used to be such a nice news group

What ever happened to the thread about the 50Hz washer/dryer timer motor. Is it fixed, is the mystery solved? I hope I didn't filter the thread out while blocking all the Kook posts?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

You are correct.... "this used to be such a nice news group. A lot of the knowledgeable and helpful regulars have been increasingly absent over the past couple of years. Frankly, it just ain't as much fun and not as rewarding to "try" to contribute helpful suggestions when there are a bunch of cynical smart mouths out there ready to throw flames.... and there also are the "nay sayers" that think that all repair people are crooks that rip off innocent customers.... if that is the case then why in the world would they come to a newsgroup populated with knowledgeable crooked repair people to ask for advice?? electricitym

- -

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
Reply to
electricitym

I thought it was just that I was becoming increasingly obsolete!

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

No, the mystery remains and probably will remain unless someone who knows the design in detail can provide more info.

For reference:

(photo of PCB)
(wiring diagram)

I currently have the timer mechanism and electronics PCB in my possession.

Power to the timer motor is indeed switched by a triac, whose gate goes via a buffer transistor to a pin on the microcontroller.

The power for the electronics seems to be derived from a rectifier, high power dropping resistors (it runs on 230 VAC after all), and zener diodes, with no power transformer or line isolation.

The relay in the lower left corner of the photo has something to do with either switching power to the main motor or its direction.

The next test might be to run the electronics and timer on 50 Hz and see if it behaves any differently but I can't do that without the rest of the machine and I'm not sure that's really a viable option for the owner.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Have you tried applying power to the board with the timer motor connected to see if the timer runs? In browsing through the schematic it seems you might be able to fool the board enough into thinking the rest of the washer is there with just a few switches and jumper wires. Make it think the door is locked, water in the basket and the cycle started and it might do enough to at least run the timer.

Reply to
James Sweet

Another thought, maybe the CPU has a watchdog timer clocking from the

50Hz ma> Sam Goldwasser wrote:
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Same with me....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:20:39 GMT, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** put finger to keyboard and composed:

IME watchdog timers usually have a very short duration, of the order of milliseconds (???). AFAIK their primary function is to reset the CPU in the event of a firmware crash, thereby protecting the appliance from damage, or the user from injury.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar