The Kikusui COS5060A is down :-(

Failed in the middle of a measurement last night - no display, no power LED, a few red LEDs on the front panel come on intermittently at power-up. The familiar burnt smell coming from the back, but no smoke. The enclosure felt a a bit hotter than usual immediately afterwards.

The incandescents on the graticule working fine though, and they're fed off the negative PSU rail, but the positive low-voltage supply is definitely down for the count. I haven't had a chance to open it up yet but hoping it's an easy fix...

Reply to
bitrex

My Tek scopes don't seem to have that 'smoke' option...

I've seen more bad caps than anything else take out equipment - bring out the ESR meter and do a good run through.

A very nice looking, West German made 220/16 cap in our German Wurlitzer jukeboxes seem to like shorting out (5VDC bus). Mind you it is on the /Reset for the CPU, but I'm running into a lot of these axials that are just turning in zero ohm resistors (zealous?).

Likely something like that happened in your toy too. Tantalums love shorting out for no real reason.

John ;-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Has that that new pinball game app. called 'Ballz' put you out of business, yet? Imagine making a mechanical version of a pinball game like that.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

do you you need a schematic?

I have a schmo for the cos5040 which is similar.

I have a COS5060 and have been using it for >20 years.

I had 3 issues with it so far... intermit connectors in the vertical amps bad solder joints and the HV seems to fade if i leave it on for over an hour and it gets too hot.

and a few bad solder joint

Reply to
makolber

Yeah, I was able to find the COS5040 online. Is the power supply identical, or at least similar?

Reply to
bitrex

There's a "bar-cade" near me that has a couple dozen pinball games on the floor, of various vintages. What's the deal with the newer games that seem to use super-bright LEDs for every widget on the table? Like the recent Star Trek game. I can't even play them, they're blinding, can't see what I'm doing.

Reply to
bitrex

as far as i can tell it is very similar.

makolber

Most late-model massive multi online player games like that are good for PC gaming because you can set the graphics and brightness yourself. 480 pixels or even up to 1080 or even 1440 pixels with late-model computers. High gig settings, too.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

Huh? I'm talking about a pinball machine. A physical machine, you know, it has buzzers and lights and paddles and you put quarters in it?

Reply to
bitrex

s.

ng

he

n's Jukes Ltd.

(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)

.flippers.com

ers never die, they just flip out."

Blinded by the light? Yup, many are way too bright, IMHO - but it seems a lot of people prefer that to the regular level of the old incandescent

bulbs. On the other hand pinball sales are good, and there are more manufacturers around now than for many a year. Granted most of them are single game productions, but the new guys/gals have a chance of figuring

out how to design and build machines that people want to play and may become successful. A dog or two may have been made, but I'm sure their mother loves them! There is a world of difference between the PinMAME/Virtual Pinball games

and the real machines. Much like a flight simulator doesn't mean you can

fly a real plane - however it gives you a lot of the experience so it is

easier to move to the real world of a physical pinball game. John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

bitrex, did you get your kik going?

what was wrong?

makolber

Too much going on with the holidays and work the past couple weeks to have a chance to take an afternoon to sit down with it, unfortunately. Paid work has to take priority. Don't worry, though, I'm not tossing it, it's in my "probable PS-fault" section (along with the poor Korg MS2000.) ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

Naaahh, not me. ?Ballz? is the name of a virtual pinball? ??ish game. It?s newer more improved version is out. It? ?s called ?Break Bricks?.

Reply to
bruce2bowser

s.

ng

he

?ish game. It?s newer more improved version is out. It? ??s called ?Break Bricks?.

Bricks and Balls is an improvement.

Reply to
bruce2bowser