the different between monitor& the TV

hi , friends I would like to know what I need to used the computer monitor as a TV. is it right if I get a TV tuner how I could connect the TV tuner to the monitor cable

is this possible& easy to do ?

any help plz yar

Reply to
st_yar

Some computer monitors accept a composite etc video feed.

If not, you'll need a composite/S-Video/RGB to SVGA adaptor which is rather more than a cable. And of course a TV tuner.

A TV tuner, SVGA adaptor and SVGA monitor is likely to cost more than the equivalent TV.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just picked up this nifty little unit made by Viewsonic, which does exactly what the OP wants and more. I got it at a place in Nashville called Essex Technologies. (They used to be a big Ebay company until they got caught shilling.)

Anything in Essex' store is a closeout, overrun, salvage or whatever...not A stock; so possibly is no longer available anywhere else.

The cool thing about it, is that it *is* a TV tuner, accepts composite S-Video, VGA, RF and stereo audio ins...as well as audio, VGA outs...is scaleable from 640x480 to 1024x768, comes with a IR remote and was only $50!

It's basically a component video tuner/switcher with VGA (only) out and 'thru'.

To top it off, it's very small...uses OSD for all indicators.

I have it in the bedroom, where I already had a computer, and didn't want to make room for a TV.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

How bout a TV pci card? Software lets you scale the image and place it anywhere on the desktop, so you can watch TV while working with other programs. Some cards offer variable transparency, so you can have the TV running on the desktop with your documents on top of it (or vice-versa). Of course, you can also view the image fullscreen if you like. These cards are cheap now and there are lots of different models to choose from. I'm assuming you have a spare pci slot. If not, you'll obviously have to either free one up or go with a different option.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

You need a scan converter, the computer monitor bottoms out at roughly double the horizontal scan rate of a TV and it uses RGB video instead of composite.

Reply to
James Sweet