Tech: Huge neon sign causing interference.

Hi, I was helping my father in law (Joe) put up an "Eat at Joes" neon sign in his kitchen. (looks awesome!) Anyway, its pretty close to a TV and causes some interference on the lower channels. When we hooked it up through a power strip it seemed to reduce the interference, but it was still there. Is there anything (cheap) that can be done to reduce it further. I heard that ferrite beads may help, but I'm not sure. Any comments would be much appreciated. thanks,

-Slick

Reply to
slick500

One assumes the neon sign transformer or power supply is grounded and the connections and insulators are clean and not arcing, and that there are no motor driven switches to light different sign elements . . . If the neon tubes have a metal frame holding them together - try grounding that. (and stay safe - that is nothing to fool with if you aren't experienced - put the plug in your pocket and work with one hand - doubly dangerous with two people tinkering with it)

I would recommend a small filter like you find on switching power supplies with the IEC connector. Cheap readily available as surplus and pretty effective.

Put the filter on the sign not the TV - interference is always easier to stop at the source.

I put a filter on my electric stove - the bimetallic range controls were causing my modem to drop in speed when the stove was on.

I got a large core and wound a common mode choke with heavy copper and used capacitors on the stove side (point one microfarad) line to line and line to ground - no more problems.

A filter will probably do it. If not, look for possible ground loops.

More extreme would be to run a shield over the HV wires and power cord.

Newsgroups
default

Is it a heavy iron transformer or an electronic type? The latter may put out a lot of RFI.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: