Tape deck has no audio output (Technics RS-TR373)

Hello all,

My Technics tape deck is not putting out any audio. The last time I used the deck was about a year ago, and I've moved since then. It used to play and record tapes just fine.

I've checked the obvious - reciever is set to play the audio from the tape deck ("tape monitor" on my old Harmon Kardon 430) and the volume is turned up.

I've swapped the audio cables from working components so they are not the problem. When I plug the tape deck into the CD input on the reciever I still get no audio, although my CD player works fine when plugged into the same place.

So I'm convinced there is no audio coming out of the tape deck.

When I try and record to the tape deck like I used to, the dB bars do not fluctuate like they did before and the tape record no audio (verified on my walkman).

I opened the tape deck and tried the obvious reseating of ribbons and checking for any loose connections but this did not have any effect.

Anything else I can try before I take this to a stereo repair shop?

Thanks, Omi

Reply to
Omi Chandiramani

Hi there,

I know its been a while now, but im having the same problem with m Technics RS-TR373 (no audio output and sound level meters stuck i mid). did you ever resolve your problem? what was the fix?

Kind regards,

Shahid

--
inquilaabi
Reply to

Replace: R406 R407(27R),C424 (470UF25V). very common problem.

also

.......the service manual is here for free. hope this helps. Ben

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your reply. You say in your reply to replace R406 R407 to 27R and C424 to 470uF. According to the schematic diagram (thanks for that link, it is a great help!) R406 is 1.5K, R407 is 3.3K and C424 is 82p. Would I replace the components with their original values or with the values you have suggested?

Waiting in anticipation, inquilaabi.

--
inquilaabi
Reply to

It's been a few years, so maybe my info is not 100% ...Test the resistors to check their condition. replace with same values as the ones on the board now or, if in doubt stick with the schematic values. let us know how you get on. good luck!

Hi Ben,

I?m having a few problems with the schematic diagram and the actual circuit itself; they seem to be different! The schematic diagram does not seen to relate to the circuitry of the tape deck. I have got hold of the full service manual for the RS-TR373 and its not the same as the actual circuit either... it is so confusing the PCB circuits/layouts are completely different from what?s stated in the service manual. This may explain the difference in the component values you quoted earlier. The tape deck is definitely RS-TR373; it says it all over!!

Is there any light you can shed on this??

Kind regards,

inquilaabi

--
inquilaabi