Sylvania SRD 4900 combo vcr/dvd player -- dead

I have a Sylvania SRD 4900 combo vcr/DVD player. There are led's which light up when the power is turned on, but the drawers for the vcr tape and for the DVD disk are totally inert. I suppose the power supply is not working, but I need a circuit diagram and parts layout to get anywhere with it. Probing with my voltmeter shows me some places where there is 10 volts, but That's not helping me.

Using Google I can't find any place to get a circuit digram and parts layout. Can someone help me?

Mel Levine snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
Mel Levine

What gave you the idea that the power supply was not working? Could it have been the leds that are lighting up when it is turned on?

What on screen display do you get on your tv set, try both rf and video outs? Do you get any on screen message when you push any buttons?

As for any circuit diagram, you probably are not going to be able to find one. Sylvania vcrs and dvd players are all being marketed/made by Funai or some other company. I would bet that the unit had an exchange warranty only, no repair service available.

I would guess without any measurements made at all that the system control and buttons would be the place to start any troubleshooting.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Many thanks for your response to my question about the non-working sylvania vcr/dvd combo machine. May I try your patience by describing some more details?

Since both the vcr and the dvd sections are not working, it seemed to me that the power supply is the culprit since it is common to both of them. The power led works, but it's on all the time regardless of the power switch setting. The two led's that show which of the vcr or dvd sections is chosen also work. So I know that the switch selecting between the vcr and the dvd sections works. None of the other switches cause anything to happen that I can see. The dvd drawer doesn't open when its switch is activated. It's impossible to insert a vcr cassette since the cassette carrier is blocked by a finger that I suppose is activated electrically. When I connect the rf output to my tv, there is no on-screen display. I haven't tried the video output yet. (My tv does not have a video-in input, but I intend to try the video output by getting hold of a modulator.)

Is it worth pursuing this?

Mel Levine

Reply to
Mel

My suspect initially would be either a stuck or liquid damaged button, or a mechanism that is out of alignment in the vcr.

Since you have a power indicator working, the power supply must be operational at least in the 5VDC. As the DVD/VCR button changes the selection, most of the power supply again should be working.

If you get the unit apart it is a simple matter to check the power supply voltages. You should measure 5VDC at any of the buttons to ground and around 12VDC usually going to the motor drive circuits (may be 6VDC or 9VDC).

You will not be able to diagnose any kind of mechanism faults without the service manual and you will likely not be happy with the price if it even is available, call the number in the back of the owners manual for the brand.

As the buttons do not seem to work, you have no way to activate the tv/vcr button to turn on the output for channel 3 or 4.

Also before doing anything at all, make certain that the unit is not in some kind of child lock out mode. Again reference the owners manual. Most modern vcrs and tv sets have a child lock out mode.

Reply to
dkuhajda

I've not had any success with resurrecting my sylvania dvd/vcr machine in spite of the excellent suggestions you gave me. It was kind of you to take the time to offer me your help, and I think that if I were smarter, you could have pulled me thru.

In any case I did learn a lot from what you wrote, and I am grateful to you.

Mel Levine

Reply to
Mel