Supporting TV chassis while open

This is a mundane question, but it's an important safety issue, and I expect that not everyone would have the same answer. I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be in the FAQ.

When you open a chassis like the CTC177, where the back and bottom are molded as one piece, how do you physically support the tube and board while you're working so it doesn't tilt backward?

For any TV chassis I've ever opened that was made in the last 25 years, they have boards mounted on the back with short wires connecting to the main board. When you remove the back, what's your strategy for dealing with the dangling boards?

--
Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

The RCA, as well as most all T.V.'s made in the last 15 years allow you to flip the main board over, untangle the wires to do do. Quite easy. Be very carefull of "hot chassis"!! Rono.

Reply to
Rono

I have also been concerned, though, about what Tom is referring to, the way the remaining heavy CRT and not much cabinet tends to sway in the breeze.

I don't think you need to worry about Tom and a hot chassis. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Hell, my CTC177 doesn't sway -- it would immediately fall backwards if I tried to let it stand when the cover is off. I can only let it sit open with the screen tilted down, which makes the board hang, and makes it impossible to work with power on. How can you work on things like this?

'Cause I'm too chicken? It depends on the chassis though.

--
Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

while

I usually just cobble something together to hold it, a big cardboard box with parts of it cut out can hold a TV upright, or lay the set on it's face on a piece of carpet, really just depends on the set.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi...

That's not recommended; hard on the neck of the tube :)

If it's at all helpful, back when I was doing 'em I had one of those car window washer/squeegee things with an adjustable little section in it.

Cut it off at the handle end to about the right size. Mount a couple of junk pieces of metal to the back ledge of your bench, so that the cut end can sit there without moving sideways. Hard to explain, hopefully you'll get the jist of the idea.

Then adjust the length of the squeegee arm to about the right length and lock it, tip the set top forward so the wide foam covered wide part sits at the top of the crt and against the mask so it won't slide up.

Then roll the set top forward, and it'll stay there as safe and as long as you like.

A couple of pieces of 12x12 mirror tile will even let you look at the set if you feel powering it up tilted this way.

Wish I were more eloquent so I could explain better. :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I would love to see what kind of gizmo is used on the production lines for these type of tv's. And, what is the *official* repair setup agents would be expected to use.

Reply to
David Sewell

Not much help for your problem...I usually disconnect anything not essential and prop the remains with a cardboard box.

On a related note, I suppose we've all noticed that TV cabinets are getting flimsier and flimsier. I replaced a set for a friend the other day, and because I didn't set it down 'just right' the front lip of the cabinet just BROKE OFF! I had set it down carefully, slowly; but the front of the cabinet--since I didn't set it down 'squarely' just failed, with about a foot-long chunk falling off.

Luckily, that was the old one....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert