Super-glued finger

First time for me, leak down the thread of the tube under the spout plastic, one glued on index finger. A loose loop of leather-work cotton thread around the affected area, tied off. Teased out cotton wool , wound around over the thread, doused with acetone. A matchstick in the loop , to Spanish Windlass. Squash wool, wind a turn, repeat over some minutes until free

Reply to
N_Cook

You don't really have to do anything if you accidentally glue a finger with superglue. The skin constantly releases oil, sweat and dead cells. The glue comes away along with these byproducts after some time.

Reply to
Pimpom

Maybe you heard about surfical gloves !

Reply to
Look165

Its not the glue bond itself that is the problem, but what you end up glued to. Even a small tube glued transverse to a finger , makes that whole hand pretty useless. I'll leave a pack of latex gloves next to the jam jar containing superglue tubes and pack of activated silica gel.

Reply to
N_Cook

Latex & Superglue. A recipe for disaster. What you want to use would be Nit rile gloves. Superglue has a near-instant affinity to latex, much less so t o nitrile. SG sticks even more poorly to polyethylene gloves - such as the clear gloves that food workers often use. Also very cheap.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

shhh, you're being too sensible.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'll swap the 2 latex gloves I'd placed over the jam-jar lid, with poltyhene ones

Reply to
N_Cook

This reminds me of an incident some 30 years ago. The plastic lining in my father-in-law's fridge had a hole where a full glass bottle had dropped on it. I took a tube of Loctite superglue and a piece of plastic along the next time we visited. Back then, not everyone around here knew about superglue and my brother-in-law was skeptical about the adhesive. I put a drop on his forefinger and told him to press it with his thumb for some time. Then I asked him to try to separate them. The look on his face made me burst out laughing.

Of course the fingers didn't stay stuck together for very long, for the reasons I gave earlier.

Reply to
Pimpom

The glue comes off, what it sticks to the finger comes off too. At least that's been my experience.

Reply to
Pimpom

Uhh, is that what I need to do, pack an activated silica gel pack in a bag with my super glue?

I use the Loctite container because of it's ease of application and lifetime, but I have twisted off the nozzle after the glue glues it on.

I have a med that comes with two silca gel plastic containers, the diameter of a dime and about 3/4" tall. What's the best way to reactivate them, they're plastic housings.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Silica Gel may be reactivated if put in an electric oven or toaster oven at 200F for 20 minutes (small packs). Longer for larger packs. This may be done many times.

Gas ovens are very moist - electric ovens are not. Never tried in a microwave... wanna be a guinea pig? Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Sometimes there is a few colour indicator crystals mixed in , change colour when dried out, in an oven. Otherwise plain silica gel crytals , non-intuitively, change colour from pure white when damp to a vaguely off-white colour when dried out.

Reply to
N_Cook

I looked up the microwave trick, but my capsules are such that I can't see the silica and would not know when is is dry or how to test it. I guess I could just assume it is dry after microwaving a couple times. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

weigh until no more reduction, then repeat the "dose" each time

Reply to
N_Cook

I quit using Super Glue years ago. About the only thing it seems to glue well, is a persons skin. I've used it on plastics, IT FAILED. I've used it on wood, IT FAILED. I've used it on metals, IT FAILED. I've used it on porcelin (like a broken cup), it somewhat held, but did not last long. I'll stick to glues that WORK, such as epoxy. Partiucularly JB Weld, that stuff is the best! Super Glue only has one purpose. to fill space on the shelves in stores. Although I have heard about guys gluing parts of their body to their girlfriends so the woman cant leave them. I wont go into detail..... Any guy that desperate needs a lot more than super glue. Some medical help makes more sense....

If you only glued two fingers together, you'll live.You just have wider fingers and less of them.... And be sure to buy mittens, not gloves :)

Reply to
oldschool

Piano tuners use it.

The tuning pins on a piano are a friction fit in a wood block.

Over time the holes can become oversized and the pins will slip. You can redrill and fit the next size pin, or even replace the pinblock, but it's a lot of work and expense on an old piano.

It's possible to flip the piano on its back (using the proper tools) and drip a little Super glue into the pinholes. Some people get good results this way and get a little more life out of an old piano not worth rebuilding.

Reply to
Tim R

I don't know why you don't have success with superglue, I have many successful uses. As far as a two part epoxy, I have been using a product for 35 or 40 years. It started with the name Araldite after a company sale it is now sold as Fastweld 10. I broke the crank handle on my radial arm saw and used the Fastweld 10 to fix it. It's been twenty years and still going strong, and it's a butt joint repair. Hardens in 3 to 5 minutes, 24 full cure.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Super-glue (cyanoacrylate) is not good in shear. But that is not to suggest that it does not hold. So as a friction-enhancer (piano tuning, for exampl e), it would be excellent as any sharp pressure (next tuning) would shear i t easily.

Super-glue is excellent for any connections not subject to shear forces, ex treme vibration or where the material cannot penetrate somewhat into the su bstrate. I use it commonly to make O-ring belts for tuning mechanisms or si milar - and I have several of those that have been in actual use (Not shelf

-queens) for over 15 years. That is a pure tension application.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

What scarf angle do you use for the join? nitrile/neoprene rubber cord ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Neoprene. And as sharp an angle as I can manage with a fresh X-Acto blade and clean m ating surfaces. I would guess around 30 degrees or so. I have a marked, slo tted block so that I can set the O-ring in the block and stretch it a speci fic amount so each cut is the same angle. I make a sloppy joint (extra glue ), then more glue, dip it in baking soda (accelerant), allow to cure, then file the flash with a jeweler's file. It almost takes longer to describe th an to do it.

Here is a picture from Phil's Old Radios:

Nothing wrong with a single-edge razor.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw