Sufficently good insulator to nudge inside live monitor?

A few weeks ago I was following up an intermittent loose connection in my CRT monitor.

Next time, when I get the picture fault I want to gently nudge a wire or component to localise the source.

I need to use something insulating. I don't know what weird surface transmission effects there are for HT voltages so can someone help me understand which of these four is best and worst for a "nudge stick".

(1) A one foot length of the PVC used for double glazing. About 0.5 inch square in cross-section.

(2) A straight length of plastic taken from an all-plastic coat hanger. Approx 1/4 inch diameter.

(3) A clear plastic one-foot ruler.

(4) A length of wood such as half-inch dowelling. Dry. Painted.

Reply to
Andy

Hello Andy,

Try a piece of styrene tubing. works great. You can find this at your local hardware or hobbie store.

Reply to
Matt

All of those sound okay except for possibly the paint on the wood dowl.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

If you were an engineer you would simply turn your screwdriver through

180degrees.
--
Rob.
Reply to

perpendicular to which plane?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Your problem is unlikely to be in the high tension unless you can hear it crackling so leave it alone. You can prod the rest of the components with a plastic chopstick or similar. The only problems I've seen in monitors is dry capacitors evidenced by leakage residue or bulging top, dry joint on a transformer and loose joint on the VGA connector.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

An detuned plastic knitting needle of about 10" in length.

Smolley

Reply to
Smolley

Black paint can be a probablem, but stay away from wood.

greg

Reply to
GregS

He is saying hold the metal end and poke with the plastic handle...

Simple enough.. Just don't over complicate things. Somehow I think you allready kenw what he meant though.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Years ago, people used something called an orange stick, shorthand for the wood it was made from, Osage Orange, those ornamental trees with the ugly green brainlike fruits. We called them monkeyfruit when I was a kid. I don't know if any self-respecting monkey would eat them.

I see sticks now that some 'mature' people still call orange sticks, but don't know why...and they look like maybe basswood.

Murray

Reply to
murrayatuptowngallery