Sturdy Frequency Counter Recommendation

Hello! I've been reading the mail with pleasure. But I'm sad that it seems like electronics has progressed so much that it's hard to have fun with if you're only half-smart, like me. My solution is to work on old tube radios.

For this I need a frequency counter that goes to maybe 500 MHZ (I might want to use my ham ticket on VHF someday). I'd like it to be fairly cheap (no more than $300) and above all reliable and sturdily built. I'd like it to be new. I want this thing to last!

I've completely lost track of who makes such things and which makers are good. Would anyone care to recommend a company or model or both? Even the simplest knowledge would be more than I have now.

Thanks in advance

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor

You could look at some older high end counters on ebay, might find a bargain there.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Mike Berger

I recommend that you go for one of the HP 5328A counters that are on Ebay quite frequently. They are workhorses, very well built, and the military models with a 500MHz C channel and hi-stability time base are exceptional values. You should be able to find one of those counters for $75 - $150 easily, and a copy of the manual for $10 (on CD). You'll never be sorry with one of those units.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

I agree. In fact I did just that 5 years ago! But the HP 5328A I bought back in 2000 died a couple of weeks ago. That has made me think that maybe surplus test equipment, especially this model, just doesn't have much life left in it. In addition, I have had disappointing experiences buying other test equipment on the main emporium for such, eBay.

So after that experience I would kind of like to buy a NEW basic and sturdy counter (no fancy menus, please) for $300 or less. In addition to maybe getting longer life than the 5328A gave me I would like to get a counter with a smaller footprint on my workbench.

What are the standard bench test equipment brands these days? Does anyone have any favorite models within those brands?

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor
Reply to
Leonard Martin

Nothing wrong with that. Many of my fellow hamateur radio folk feel the same way.

Well, that being the case... My own choice was a Fluke 1953A that I got from a local surplus place for about $50. It goes up to over

500MHz on the 'C' input (explanations in a moment). It's built very well indeed, has a simple front panel, and is relatively easy to service if something goes phooey.

Failing that, HP, Tektronix, and Optelectronics Corp. all make (made as well) decent counters. Here are a few sample listings from Greed-bay of units that I would consider if I needed to shop for one.

Another source for such hardware is ham radio swap meets. You can locate such in one of two ways. First is to try the specialized search engine at this link:

Second would be to locate a ham radio club close to you, and query some of its members or officers. Listings of clubs may be searched at this link:

That should keep you busy for a while. Happy hunting.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Just because your surplus used counter had a failure doesn't mean that a new one won't fail just as quickly, or much faster. For analogy, would you throw away your car just because it failed to start the next time you want to go shopping?

I have two of those surplus HP 5328A counters that I bought in 1996 at a hamfest in Atlanta, and they're still going strong. Best counters I've ever used. I don't use them daily, but 2-3 times a week and they've never failed to perform.

Your counter may be repairable. What failed in the unit, or did you even bother to investigate? I have a nearly complete unit that I bought just to have spare parts, but so far, I've never had to use anything from it. Finding parts for these units is not a big problem as it might be with some other counters, especially those that are uP driven.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM

Leonard-

Your price range dictates buying used. Stick with the higher-end brands like HP and Fluke if you want reliability, even with older models.

Four or five years ago I purchased a used HP 5334B with the high frequency and crystal oven options. The only problem has been one that may be common to your 5328 - an open thermal fuse in the crystal oven. (It turns out to be unnecessary according to an HP engineer on one of these newsgroups.) I have a rubidium oscillator to set the timebase using an oscilloscope, and it is impressive how stable it is. It has been about three years since I adjusted it, and it is still less than 0.1 Hz off at

10 MHz, or 0.01 ppm.

If you are willing to trade reliability for the smaller footprint and lower price, there may be some other brands to consider. Two that come to mind are Startek International Inc. of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and Optoelectronics, also of Ft. Lauderdale. (I found both web sites with Google.)

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

This has been great advice. I realized the next day after I wrote about the failure of the HP 5328A that just because one fails after 5 years, that doesn't mean they all will.

You know, it did seem to be the time base that had failed in my 5328A. Testing showed signals being squared up at the input circuits. The display was working completely. The unit would just not count anything, period. I do not feel competent to work on such equipment. My hold on electronic knowledge has always been shaky. It might go far enough to fix simple old tube radios, but more complex stuff, either theory or hands-on troubleshooting techniques, just doesn't stay with me. After years of breaking electronic things worse trying to fix 'em, I know my limitations.

Therefore I just threw this fine old piece of equipment away. It was like parting with a sleek grayhound who just hadn't worked out as a pet.

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor
Reply to
Leonard Martin

Good of you to admit your abilities. Sorry that you threw the old instrument away.. I would have taken it off your hands in a heartbeat. If the problem was, in fact, the timebase, it could have been fixed in just a few minutes. I have a couple of the HP high stability oscillators that the 5328A counters use as a timebase oscillator. Am planning to build a GPS-controlled frequency standard with them. Now, before all you folks start blasting me about it, I already know about the HP Z3801A GPS receivers. But I want to build one from scratch, just for the fun of it. I have a GPS receiver module, a couple oscillators, and some uP's to glue it all together. I'm thinking about what the software has to do to make it all work. will be an interesting project, for sure.

Back to your original post, I still recommend another 5328A (or the military version) as a replacement., for all the reasons already posted. And if you should have trouble with any of your instruments in the future, please ask here before doing anything so drastic as trashing it without an attempt at repair. Even if you decide to trash, I'm sure somebody here would love to take it off your hands in an attempt to revive.

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM

Dang, should have put it on ebay, probably would have got $50 for it as a parts unit or fixer. I know I would have at least paid shipping to have it sent to me.

Reply to
James Sweet

To tell you the truth, I was also angry at it. I still feel guility though! It is iust like getting rid of the purebred faithful, but sickly, dog.

Leonard

Leonard

--
"Everything that rises must converge"
--Flannery O'Connor
Reply to
Leonard Martin

Yeah, I know what you mean... I did the same sort of thing a few years ago, but with parts and components that I had accumulated over the years. Among the things that went into the garbage were a dozen or so Raytheon CK722 metal case transistors still in their original plastic bubble wrapper. Collectors' items now!!! Lots of other old-but-nice-to-have transistors, ICs, etc.. At the time, I was recovering from a divorce that sent me spiraling into depression, and before I knew what happened, it was too late. I also threw away a bunch of used, but still good vacuum tubes that would be worth $5 - $15 each in today's market. I chunked a couple old HP 200CD oscillators that were on my bench begging to be restored, but, alas......

Anyway, I've learned my lesson, and hope you have too... Even if you REALLY want to get rid of something, advertise here or on Ebay.. Chances are that somebody will take it off your hands and you'll make a few bucks in the process.

Cheers!!!!!!