Stubborn jack socket nut

Has anyone got a trick for removing a stubborn jack socket nut. The threaded shaft of the socket is turning with the nut, the back of it isnt accesible. It doesnt look cross threaded. Any ideas about getting it off without damaging it? thanks

Reply to
jimi

I presume there isn't enough thread to use with say needlenose visegrips or extra nuts locked in place as counter torque.

So... one rather destructive, quick-and-dirty method is to use a chisel (unless it's meant for steel, plan on ruining its edge as well) to form a notch into the socket wall -- one direction only, NOT a "v" notch. From this point, you can use a wide blade screwdriver or the chisel in the notch. You'll also need a small, thin crescent wrench. I have a 4" wrench with a max jaw opening of 9/16" which works quite well on these jacks. This will most likely be a 2-man job. Push on the crescent wrench at the same time as the socket notch is struck -- in the opposing direction of rotation, obviously. This should break it loose.

You can use several layers of masking tape around the nut's perimeter to help guard against damage to the escutcheon by the wrench. This doesn't guarantee against scratches, however, so you still have to exercise caution.

If the manufacturer went so far as to put threadlock compound on the socket, you're gonna have a much more difficult time backing it off all the way. Hopefully, they didn't do this and it's merely stuck in that one spot.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

45 years ago I learned of the Miracle, Liquid Threadlock, and the second Question to the Service Rep. I asked was "yeah it looks like a great Idea but now how do you get the damn things apart to service it". His answer was to heat the nut and bolt ! Over the years I have encountered more and more components that are inappropriately LOCKED with "various Locktite compounds". The answer in most cases is still "heat it". In your case, I would insert a hot, ~ 400/500' F. Soldering tip in the Jack for a few seconds, NB. it will also be a little harsh on any plastic casing around the jack , but the threadlock compound will be degraded enough to allow normal disassembly.

BTDT

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

Yes, use a 4 wide brick chisel and a 7 pound clubber hammer to hit it with.

Done VERY carefully there will be no damage at all.

Reply to
Just Another Theremin Fan

Thanks for the replies, I tried the club hammer and it worked a treat :)

Reply to
jimi

YEAH, QUIT JACKING OFF WITH YOUR SHAFT AND YOUR NUTS AND GO GET LAID.

Reply to
Kim Cole

Kim, take it easy man...go have a lie down youl be ok :)

Reply to
jimi