Strobe Lights.

I am watching How It's Made on the SCI channel.The tv program guy said a strobe light can be ajusted to make it appear a moving fan blade has stopped.Is there another way to do that without the flickering of using a strobe light? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

The "flickering" is what makes the blades appear to stop. If the light flashes when the blades are in exactly the same position they were in the previous time the light flashed, you will not perceive that the blades are turning.

This can be a safety hazard when machinery running at certain speeds is illuminated by fluorescent lights - the on and off of the fluorescent bulb with every cycle of the AC voltage can make the machinery appear to be stopped (yes, I know it's a simplified explanation).

John

Reply to
news

On 2/8/2009 4:06 PM snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net spake thus:

Sure: how fast can you blink your eyes?

-- Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it because it generates considerable business for me in consulting and upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is "If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Spin yourself at the same speed as the fan.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

It just occurred to me that the strobe lights and circuits take a finite amount of time to charge ! and discharge very quickly to give the flashing strobe effect.

It also occurred to me that superbrite white LED's should fire very quickly so by using a 555 timer and an appropriate driver would give you a quick strobe ! Without that recharging delay !!

I will have to try this on my testbench soon !

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

On 2/8/2009 7:44 PM Yukio YANO spake thus:

Could work, would be interesting, but wouldn't be able to touch a xenon tube for brightness.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that
doesn\'t work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn\'t need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Nothing new. You can pulse to the LED's peak rating. The longer the pulse the brighter it appears.

You could also use LCD glasses to view the fan.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Turn off the fan. The blades will be clearly stopped.

Reply to
PeterD

I work on and do tune ups on my own vehicles.I know about using an auto strobe/timing light.

When I was watching that How It's Made tv program, I figured it would be ''cute'' if the rotating fan blade on my old antique electric table fan could appear to stop rotating.That is what the How It's Made program showed on tv.I still think it is a ''cute'' idea though. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Just keep it away from kids.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I like those Western movies, when the wagon wheels look like they are running backwards. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

On 2/9/2009 1:10 PM snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net spake thus:

They were. Didn't you know they shot all action scenes backwards back then?

You can imagine how hard it was for all them actors to learn to talk backwards.

-- Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it because it generates considerable business for me in consulting and upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is "If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 21:44:46 -0600, Yukio YANO put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a Ministrobe kit designed by Electronics Australia in August

1997. It uses exactly those components.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Sure. Turn the fan off.

Reply to
Dave

Grab it.

Reply to
GregS

It is 70 degrees outside right now.The old antique Hunter electric fan on the end table by doggy's end of her couch is running. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Stick your nose in it....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Outch! cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

We used to have a tuning fork with a peep hole between the forks to time teletype motors. You tap the fork and look through the peep hole and the dots on the teletype motor would stop when the right speed was set.

So yes, you can use tuning forks or an electronic vibrator with a peep site.

--

        Van Chocstraw
Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Way way back when I repaired washing machines for a living, Hotpoint supplied a cardboard disk which fitted over the centre nut of the drum pulley, The disk had a ring of dots which appeared stationary under incandescant light when the drum was turning at the correct distribute speed - which was critical.

Ron

Reply to
Ron