Strange problem with univerasl TV remote. Ideas ?

This morning, a universal TV remote that is several years old stopped working. I thought somone may have accidently removed the code, so I reprogrammed it, and it seemed to accept certain codes for the TV, yet not others. However, it still did not work. On the other hand, I used a different universal remote, just to make sure the TV was still fine, and it was. Does anyone know what would cause one of these universal remotes to appear to accept the code, yet still not work? Is it a common problem, or does it sometimes happen when the remote gets old?

TIA.

Reply to
monty1945

Well, take out the cells (batteries) and replace them and then try one more time. If that does not do it, it is recycling time.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yes, I should have mentioned that I tried fresh batteries but the same thing happened. Thanks.

Reply to
monty1945

Had a remote that was several years old start acting flaky. Still sorta flaky after changing the batteries. Cleaning the button contacts with alcohol and qtips didn't help either. Started looking at the components and solder joints with a magnifying lens - looked like one lead of the crystal had been cut fairly short and not soldered too well, reworking that solder joint did the job.

That was a dedicated remote, not a universal. The question is, do you want to put that kind of effort into a semi-disposable universal remote, or do you just want to go out and buy another one?

Jerry

Reply to
jerry_maple

I have a couple of X-10 remotes that will do that on their own. They act like they will accept the codes, but if you check after it is entered, it will be different. I thought they were toast, but I found that if I left the batteries out of 'em for a week or two, they would come back

100%. They must get a glitch in them that requires a full discharge beyond just changing the batteries to reset. Might be worth trying.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

Sometimes the IR LED fails, or the chip and or devices that drives the LED.

It is not feasible to service these remotes, and there is no service support from the manufacture. It would be best to replace the remote.

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.