STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

I have a STR-DE698 7.1ch receiver that started turning itself off
recently.  I suspected heat as the cause, so I moved it out of the
enclosed cabinet and into an open one.  I also set it on top of a
laptop cooler to dissipate any excess heat.  The unit still turns
itself off after running for a half hour or so.  I do not believe heat
is the cause, since it is cool to the touch when it shuts down.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

All the STR-DE series have a common problem with the ground screws on the
main CBA being too loose and not properly grounding the board. Use a Philips
screwdriver to tighten all of them real good, and see if the problem goes
away.

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

Thanks for the info.  Where would the ground screws be located?  I do
not have a schematic.  Should I just open it up and tighten all the
phillips screws?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

Yea, if I remember they are copper coated - several are on the perimiter of
the board, but some are centralized on the board.

Thanks for the info.  Where would the ground screws be located?  I do
not have a schematic.  Should I just open it up and tighten all the
phillips screws?

Thanks,
Dan

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

I checked all of them.. None were loose, but I tightened them
anyway.   The receiver still shuts off.  No error message or
anything.  Any other ideas?

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

The above advice applies to older (Dolby surround types, for example) models
only. Sony's haven't had this problem for going on 20 years. Modern models
more often have problems with driver IC's - STK350-230 and the like. Could
also be bad solder connections.

Mark Z.

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

I just wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else has a
similar problem with Sony STR series receivers.

I had tightened all of the ground screws but the unit was still
shutting itself off after about a half hour of use.  I removed the
smaller PCB located right where the power comes in, and noticed the
ground screw hole had become corroded/filled with gunk.  I cleaned it
out, and added a wire ground from the board to the chassis, plugged
everything in, and it has been running for about 12 hours now with no
problems.  It appears to have been a grounding problem after all.
Curcuit:  Thanks for suggesting I check the ground screws!  It is hard
to believe Sony relies on this method of grounding as opposed to a
direct connection to the chassis (I've always considered Sony a step
up from Technics, Sharp, etc).

Thanks,
Dan

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

of
the
goes

[...]

what was the gunk from ? nearby electrolytic that needs changing?

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

It is scary that a simple ground connection is made thru just one
screw and not a wire.  Usually, if it is just a screw, the screw
presses the board against a good grounded piece of metal, and does not
rely on the actual screw to do the grounding.  Anything that is
cheaper seems to be the way that everyone, including "reputable"
manufacturers is going.

Re: STR-DE698 Receiver Frequently Turns Itself Off

I think it's all about assembly time: screws are cheaper than soldering.

After all, it only has to work for 12 months (or whatever the warranty is).

Pessimistically,
Dave

[...]

Sony is a four letter word.

Site Timeline