Store that sells ceiling fan capacitors?

This is not precisely on-topic, but this group is resourceful, and it does concern an electronic component.

The no-name ceiling fan over our kitchen table was making a strange odor of the "electrical" variety. I feared it was coming from the insulation of the motor wiring, but googling suggested the capacitor as the common source of smells. One or more self-healing film caps are potted into a rectangular package. With failed caps the package bulges, according to pictures that people posted.

So, before I took everything apart, I decided to find a store that stocked such capacitors. Then I would gut the thing and run over with the bad part, come back with the good one, wire it in, and have the whole thing buttoned up before my wife got home and started complaining about the chaos I always introduce to her life. (In fairness, there are a lot of ziplock bags with parts in them around here.)

But the usual suspects don't seem to carry them. Not appliance part stores or electrical supply stores. I couldn't find them listed at Home Desperate or Louse. There were only a couple of online ceiling- fan-part-only outfits, which I try to avoid: I like to show the counter guy what I need, have him give it to me, pay, go home, and replace.

Any ideas? If I must buy online I must, but I would really rather not

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Do you have a TrueValue Hardware store near you? I think they carry them...

Reply to
Sofa Slug

"spamtrap1888"

** Ceiling fan caps were once readily and cheaply available.

Then the price went right though the roof ......

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Try Grainger

They do have lots of motor start / run caps at competitive prices and also do have a brick 'n' mortar presence around the US (try the "Find a Branch" link).

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

The last time I needed one I had to do some searching. I finally found one at a local lighting store here in Tulsa, Ok. But I think they were left overs from some time before. They didn't even charge me for it. The store sells all kinds of lighting and fans and what have you. See if you can find such a place where you live, they might have some.

I do recall being able to just walk into HD or about any hardware store and find one, but no longer.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Granger does not sell to public. Try drillspot who sells granger parts, cheaper.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Don't think so. I purchased a replacement dual motor run cap for my outside HVAC unit from Grainger (not Granger) back in April of this year. No tax exemption certificate, DUNS number, CAGE code, etc. needed, just a plain ol' credit card and a residential shipping address.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

If you have a Dan's Fan City nearby, they almost always have a variety of single, dual and triple caps in stock.

Alternately, SwitchCo in of Texas, online at ceilingfanparts.com carry a number of them.

Reply to
Anon

That depends on the individual location. Some only require a tax certificate, while others will sell and handle sales tax. I have no problems buying at Grainger. Home Depot & Lowes used to sell them, but I haven't looked lately. There's always Ebay. "180 results found for ceiling fan capacitor" right now.

Michael A. Terrell

re

-

You might try Radio Shack