STK amplifier modules

I'm trying to repair an Onkyo surround sound amplifier with a blown STK

422-730. I wouldn't normally take this on, but it is for a friend who is not very well, or very wealthy.

Well first off, I can't even find a datasheet for this particular STK, let alone find an STK 422-730 I could buy.

(STK's from china don't count as they will be fake and I need to get this working ASAP) The original is a Sanyo package like this, but this is not a Sanyo part:

So I have been looking at substitutes. There are a whole range of 2 channel STK's with 14 pins, of various amplifier powers. Are all these compatible? If I get something close will it just plug in and play?

There's a whole load of other much cheaper older package STK442-XXX modules available, eg:

Not being able to find the datasheet means I don't even know the power, but that is not as important as getting this amp into some semblance of making sounds again.

Might it be worth taking a punt on one of these cheap older packages not from China?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Dammit, my typo.

It's a STK 442-730.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I long ago stopped trying to find exact replacements, settling on 1, or

2 for stereo, easy to find TDA7293. A bit of time working out the pinout of the original . The only hiccup has been , sometimes the mute line needs a simple inverter transistor in line with it/them. None bounced back , is all I cansay on reliability
Reply to
N_Cook

I long ago stopped trying to find exact replacements, settling on 1, or

2 for stereo, easy to find TDA7293. A bit of time working out the pinout of the original . The only hiccup has been , sometimes the mute line needs a simple inverter transistor in line with it/them. None bounced back , is all I cansay on reliability ***********************************************************

I'm close to liking that idea.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I did something similar years ago in a Toshiba VCR that had an STK IC in th e power supply. A switched 9V output was low with all other outputs fine an d the replacement very expensive, I placed a linear voltage regulator with standby control pin to get the missing 9V, worked perfectly.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

I was screaming about counterfeit semis back in the 1980s when everyone thought I was full of crap.

But.. not all semis out of China are fakes. I'll bet that if you buy that STK on ebay, it will fix the stereo and it will last.

Reply to
John-Del

Not only that but you can easily get your money back if it is fake.

Reply to
tom

I was screaming about counterfeit semis back in the 1980s when everyone thought I was full of crap.

But.. not all semis out of China are fakes. I'll bet that if you buy that STK on ebay, it will fix the stereo and it will last.

That may be so, ("fake" I have learnt can be a rather inappropriate term to use), but we don't have the time for the shipping, and expediated shipping is another $35, making this a VERY expensive punt for my friend.

I did a bit more research today and it looks like all the STK's of similar type and pin count seem to use the same pinouts, so I have ordered a way cheaper STK 442-120 from a UK vendor I use when Farnell doesn't have the product, and who I trust not to sell me total crap, and it will get here tomorrow or the day after.

I do have the Service Manual of the Onkyo to confirm the pinouts of the original 442-730, so hopefully this should be a drop in replacement punt with no drama. If the volume levels are different, then that can surely be adjusted in the setup. It's only for domestic TV viewing so it shouldn't be particularly highly stressed.

This is not a commercial repair for financial gain, or I would simply refuse to do it as unviable.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

How much power is this thing ? If it is not too high you can just rewire it to use a pair of LM3886 or something. They are not bad chips. I did that a year or two ago on a unit that used an SVI chip, which is an STK but just considered fancy.

Reply to
jurb6006

How much power is this thing ? If it is not too high you can just rewire it to use a pair of LM3886 or something. They are not bad chips. I did that a year or two ago on a unit that used an SVI chip, which is an STK but just considered fancy.

I now think it would make more sense to use another cheap, easily available STK module. They are pin for pin compatible and bolt straight onto the heatsink.

10 minutes to change them.

The 2 x LM or TDA options are going to mean an absolute rat's nest of wiring to individual IC pins in mid air, not to mention having to sort out a suitable mute conversion. How many hours is that going to take?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

How much power is this thing ? If it is not too high you can just rewire it to use a pair of LM3886 or something. They are not bad chips. I did that a year or two ago on a unit that used an SVI chip, which is an STK but just considered fancy.

I now think it would make more sense to use another cheap, easily available STK module. They are pin for pin compatible and bolt straight onto the heatsink.

10 minutes to change them.

The 2 x LM or TDA options are going to mean an absolute rat's nest of wiring to individual IC pins in mid air, not to mention having to sort out a suitable mute conversion. How many hours is that going to take?

Gareth.

Well, having ordered a STK 442-120 and expecting it to arrive in 2 days max as usual, it didn't. Wasn't even dispatched until friday, I assume half the staff are probably on holiday. Most unusual.

Anyway I decided to have a look at using a pair of LM's/TDA's or whatever, only to find a new STK 442-130 in my TDA drawer I didn't know I had. I must have ordered two some time in the distant past and gave myself a spare.

So, swapping them out really was very quick, and it works. I believe these 130 version are rated 150W, but I've no idea what they base this upon, as it is probably bogus. The Onkyo I have doesn't look hugely powerful power supply wise, so this IC is probably well overkill over the original, whose specs I could not find anywhere.

Check out the prices of these, they are not expensive. I even found a US retailer who were guaranteeing theirs were genuine Sanyo parts.

Another thing. This Onkyo has 2 STK parts, the 442 and a 443 part. The

443 part has 3 amplifiers, the 442 has 2. Consequently the 443 has more pins. It turns out that the pinout for the 443 follows exactly the 14 pins of the 442, and simply tacks on an extra 4 pins for the 3rd amp (2 in, 2out).

The motherboard of this Onkyo actually has 18 pins available at the site the

442 was occupying, with circuitry not fitted regarding a possible third amplifier. Meaning it was a generic motherboard that could use either 2 x 443 chips, or 1 x 443 and 1 x 442, depending on which model it went into.

So this leads me to believe that these STK chips are indeed simply plug and play, you select the particular chip with regards to how many amplifiers you want and at what power.

Which is why people like Onkyo use them? It would make sense to know you could produce a generic PCB and simply plug in whatever STK's were appropriate in a single design, and that any future improved STK's could simply be plugged in instead without any major redesign work.

Anyway, for not much more that a couple of LM/TDA's, you could perhaps just find an appropriate STK, you just need to find a reliable source of these.

Good luck, I don't do hi-fi repairs, this is a very good example of why not.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Here's something you probably don't realize: if you didn't order the -120 the -130 would have remained hidden. I don't understand the physics of it but it's best to just admit this stuff happens (plus, you'll feel better)..

Reply to
John-Del

Here's something you probably don't realize: if you didn't order the -120 the -130 would have remained hidden. I don't understand the physics of it but it's best to just admit this stuff happens (plus, you'll feel better)..

Yep, I get that. :)

I also no longer get annoyed on the road when I take a wrong turning, or get lost. I say to myself, that might well have saved me having that fatal accident.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

a stereo tv? Put the speakers in series on the remaining channel.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

a stereo tv? Put the speakers in series on the remaining channel.

No, this is a 5 channel surround sound power amp with Sub signal output.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis