Stewart-Warner 9104-B chassis (TV-radio combo)

I have stored a Stewart-Warner 9104-B TV-radio (in a small case, not the huge console with phono seen in the two websites currently indexed by Google using "9104-B" as a search term) for a long time and am considering a restoration. This is a round-tube set from perhaps the late 1940s.

The chassis has a few topside rust spots (likely from mouse pee) but the underside is quite clean and in good condition. I do not yet have the Photofact and would appreciate knowing the years of manufacture of this set, and if possible what plating was used on the chassis.

The CRT's outer dag is flaking; have any of you painted dag on CRTs to restore the GND?

Any recommended tutorials on cabinet veneer repair and recommendations on spot refinishing techniques?

Any chance of finding the schematic online (otherwise I'll cajole the local public library system into finding the SAMs)?

Any opinions on the importance of this model and the level of restoration it deserves? I would consider complete deconstruction and hot-dip replating of the chassis if it merited such treatment, otherwise I would prefer to dress it up with techniques of lesser magnitude.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

The data for your 9104B TV is in Sams folder 105-10, and is available for $7.00 directly from Sams at

Just surf over to their site and search for model 9104B, and you'll find it.

-- Dave M masondg44 at comcast dot net

One good thing about Alzheimer's; you get to meet new people every day.

Reply to
Dave M

Replying to myself: found references to SlipPlate from Grainger, P/N

1WVK7
as a well-adhering, conductive substitution for aquadag. Suggestions were to strip remaining old dag using paint stripper, soap and water wash, rinse, dry and spray with the new coating.

Still interested in replies on other issues mentioned in the O.P.

Michael

Reply to
msg

oogle

Sand the cabinet carefully and refinish exactly the same way you would any good piece of furniture. Early cabinets were considered furniture and were made as strong as any other piece of furniture. I have just restored a 1953 Admiral tv console and the cabinet refinishing took as long as the electronics repair. I just have to put the chassis back in the cabinet and then it goes up for sale. The CRT is in great condition, and for a 1953 set, the picture is amazingly good.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Now all you need is an all-tubes HDTV converter box.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The TV programs were better back then, as well. It was a new medium, and people weren't afraid to try something new, unlike today's cookie cutter formats.

Michael A. Terrell

Not every cabinet needs to be sanded down to bare wood.

What sort of shape is your cabinet in? If you give a description, or even better post a photo somewhere, we could advise on less destructive methods that might produce a great-looking cabinet with a lot less work.

Many cabinets really need only touchups or spot refinishing. If yours falls in that category, it would be a shame (and a big waste of time) to completely destroy the original finish by sanding or stripping.

A good starter book on refinishing is "The Weekend Refinisher" by David Johnson. Look on amazon.com or other booksellers. It has useful sections on reviving an old finish without stripping.

The finish on your cabinet is lacquer. Avoid refinishing it with stuff like polyurethane or spar varnish. It's the same amount of work either way. A lacquer finish will look authentic and it will be easily reversible if you don't like the result of your first attempt.

Phil Nelson Phil's Old Radios

Phil Nelson

I'll get it to a spot where a photo is possible and post the link later.

The overall finish is quite good, however it is the repairing of peeling and chipping veneer at edges that is my concern. I would like to avoid obvious seams where little replacement veneer chips may be needed.

I'll look for this book.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Perhaps a rack of KW26s as shown in this document could be repurposed for the task:

Michael

Reply to
msg

I would appreciate learning if some of you have tried electrolytic replating of bare metal where rust was sanded down, using a portable sponge wand.

I would also appreciate learning the dates of manufacture for this model chassis.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Try asking on news:rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell