Stereo help needed - NAD receiver

I dug out an old NAD reciever along with Advent Prodigy mini-tower speakers from the mess in the basement. I hooked this forgotten gem up to have some music in my workshop, but for some reason I'm getting nothing out of the speakers. When I touch the metal half-loops ("pre-out/main in" on the back of the receiver) I do get a low-tone growl out of the speakers, but that's it. I do get AM/FM reception in the basement becuase the reciever is locking on to stations. Just wondering if the reciever is fried because it's been sitting un-used for a good 12 years until I plugged it in yesterday.

I found a photo/description of the NAD model that I'm trying to fix. I think this is exactly like mine, and it shows a photo of the loops that I touch to give the growling sound:

Pauli G

monitor switch setting ?

N_Cook

If you are getting hum from the pre-amp to amp connections when you touch them that suggests the amp section is ok. Bad connection on a selector switch or tape monitor switch maybe. Try exercising the switches some. Plug a rca cable into some of the other source jacks, touch the center post of the other end and see if you can get hum on any other input. Or hook a cd player up to it.

Reply to
JamesGangNC

First place I'd be looking also. Tape monitor / direct switch, or speaker select switches, or if none of these, work a jack in and out of the headphone socket a few times, just in case there is any switch attached, which has developed oxidised contacts from it standing unused.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Good advice...and while the OP is exercising the headphone jack, it would be good to check for signal there as well. Use, uh, say headphones....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert