Steepletone Edinburgh retro music centre, post 2010

Even the model name reflects the era of these being pieces of furniture. Quite a tasteful bit of cabinet with convincing looking faux bronze "metalwork". Inside basically repackaged ghetto-blaster, 350 GBP for these . The main analogue board would normally be a reject at pcb etching stage as about 20 breaks in tracks due to excess etching . Factory re-work hand-bridged with wires soldered over the breaks. Probably failure of one of those fudges at a pass transistor pad ,meant loss of all audio out, not hifi in any way though

Reply to
N_Cook

Back working again. You'd think for 350 squid that they would have used the Tone and Balance controls built into the stereo 4 ch select and vol via I2C IC, PT2314E

Reply to
N_Cook

back

can

First time I've come across the name. The pass transistor and its large but un-anchored heatsink would likely flop about anyway in transport , without any duff pcb track rework Other point to note, the main digital control board is housed in a tinplate screening-can and just stuck with gummed tape to the recording-CD casing

Reply to
N_Cook

manufacture.

1970,

series

of

switches

good

years,

it

towards

Once I'd worked out what each board was doing , I found it quite straightforward to work on. Removing the rear and top vinyl deck and then to avoid disconnecting the rat's nest all those wires, pair of Mole grips to break the glue join and bend on the nails of one of the wooden "card rails" to release the main analogue board.

Reply to
N_Cook

That sounds like the English version of the old Morse-Electrophonic Japanese garbage from the '70s. TO-1 output transistors that belonged in a pocket transistor radio, and claiming 100 W per channel output.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It is sold in the U.S. under the Crosley name.

Reply to
chuck

Not to me! ;)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

As far is known , only used in living rooms, no storage in garage or shed but the inside of the cabinet has a grey-green mold coating seemingly in the area where glue is used. Perhaps they used traditional cabinet-makers rendered down horse glue.

Reply to
N_Cook

Hmm, the obvious question is: does it burn well?

:-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

The other reason for breaking the "card rail" was not to have to break the probably 3 sticks-worth of hotmelt glue , all over the place holding down things that would otherwise float around, so plenty of flammabes around

Reply to
N_Cook