Steel Grind

Repairing metal housing.

7/8" steel tube with ends slightly rounded inwards. I need to remove all and a little more of the rounding inwards.

What material bit for either 1/4" OR 1/8" shank hand drill motor or Dremel is best to use ?

I have many of these to do.

Reply to
BenAnd

For steel, silicon carbide. Alox is much slower, and silicon dioxide best used on hard cheese rinds only. Diamond tends to be very variable. Tungsten carbide is good stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

How do the vitrious silicon carbide bits hold up ?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
BenAnd

I'd use the Dremel CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels. I bought a few to test them and they are great for jobs with steel.

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Can you just re-cut the end? Maybe a step drill bit, or a conical bit. (A dremel sounds a bit wimpy for the job, unless it's thin walled SS.)

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

I may not understand exactly what you mean. When plumbers and electrician cut pipe or conduit they use a conical pipe reamer or for lighter pipe a flat vee shaped one. CP

Reply to
MOP CAP

Did anyone mention a tapered reamer ? The pipe threading machines usually have them built in.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 5:06:29 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote in sci.electronics.repair:

Do they work on rigid? pipe?

Reply to
bruce2bowser