Static Sound in Radio Volume Control

Over time, the volume controls of all my clock radios always develop a loud static sound whenever I adjust the volume. Is there a remedy for this?

--
Thanks,
Michael

A really good control cleaner, or all new pots.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, the easiest and most usual solution is to go to your local Radio Shack toy and cell phone store and get a can of TV-Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant Catalog #: 64-4315 Open your clock radio so that you can get to the volume control. It will have an open area next to the terminals that gives you access to the resistance element and contact inside.Point the spray tube of your tuner cleaner and spray about ONE (1) second of cleaner into the innards of the control. Exercise the control through its full range four or five times. Reassemble your radio. That should fix the scratchy noise.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

A new and better radio (with digital pots) is the only permanent solution.

--
Keith
Reply to

loud

Desolder the pot or sometimes enough access to to do the following without desoldering Mark with felt tip the relative positions of the sub parts, bend out the retaining flaps of the casing metal with a small screwdriver. Dismantle the pot down to the carbon track clean/degrease. Where the track is not too bad , just worn in arcs. Bend, out or in whichever shows most fresh track, the wiper blade/blades to use a different part of track. If the wiper support can be wedged away from the track then bend the wiper to give more contact force. If the rivets have slackened on the paxolin then squash with an old pair of basic red/blue/yellow single action crimp pliers. To get to the wiper rivet grind down the the interfering bulges a bit between the red and blue sections.

N_Cook

In message , N_Cook writes

All this for a clock radio???

--
Ian
Reply to

The OP says "all my clock radios". That's odd. I've never had /all/ the pots in the equipment I've owned become scratchy.

Obviously, cleaning the pot should fix the problem. But I suspect the OP lives in a dusty/dirty environment, or is a heavy smoker.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thank you to all who responded.

Michael

loud

Reply to
Michael

ud

beside control cleaner, basically, it's a good idea to turn every control through the whole range of movement and switch every switch on and off on every piece of equipment you own that doesn't have the newfangled rubber key type things, every week or two. keeps them from getting spotty contact with dust, gunk from the air, particles from wear, etc. over the years, wipers on pots, switches, relays, etc. have evolved to do this pretty well.

given that clock radios don't have the volume adjusted a large amount, they don't get this treatment the way older type equipment where the volume was turned down to zero to switch the thing off did.

the other thing that happens, however, is that there gets to be extra wear in the small area of a control which is actually used and as a result contact is spotty; no cure for that.

No, it happens to mine too. Clock radios are usually made VERY cheaply.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Do infants have as much fun in their infancy as adults do in adultery?
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Why do poeple write ONE (1)? Is this because some people can't read numerals?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

This space was empty.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

It is to emphatize that it must be done in one second. Otherwise it might go unnoticed.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

Quick and cheap solution, keep adjusting the control up and down until it stops scratching.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

Or it could be due to fine dust from your parrots' feathers and droppings.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

That must be the problem. I don't own cheap clock-radios.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

They did this before I got parrots. They don't seem to be worse since I got them. Surprisingly, nothing has got upset (except my 2nd last projection TV, which told me to change the filter after every 2 hours of use (instead of every

100)). I've since changed the projector to one without a filter, and it's worked fine ever since.
--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

The sailor came home from a secret two year mission only to find his wife with a
new born baby. Furious, he was determined to track down the father to extract
revenge.
"Was it my friend Sam", he demanded.
"No !" his weeping wife replied.
"Was it my friend Jim then?" he asked.
"NO !!!" she said even more upset.
"Well which one of my no good friends did this then?" he asked.
"Don\'t you think I have any friends of my own?" she snapped.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

A clock radio doesn't strike me as an item one would spend a lot of money on.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Helpdesk: Click on the \'my computer\' icon on the left of the screen.
Customer: Your left or my left?
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Then why not say "one (and make sure it's one)" or "one, yes one,", or just "ONE" in capitals, or "**ONE**"

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

When you own Llamas... spit happens
Reply to
Peter Hucker

I just leave the volume in one place all the time.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Mental Health Outsourcing -- I was depressed last night so I called Lifeline.  I
got a call centre in Pakistan.  I told them I was suicidal.  They got all
excited and asked if I could drive a truck.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

There have been some nice ones, especially from GE in the late 70s and early

80s. GE produced the first clock-radio with an electronic display (1972), and the first with digital electronic tuning (1980). They were not cheap. I have both.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck