Static problem with Uniden 5.8 Ghz handsets

My TRU 8885 Uniden cordless system with 5 handsets has been working well since I bought it about 8 months ago. In the last few weeks, the two handsets that are located upstairs and are furthest away from the base have developed horrible static. The problem is so bad that I can no longer conduct conversations using these two handsets.

I would appreciate any ideas for solving this problem.

Thanks, Liz

Reply to
lizch

Need not be a problem with your system.

5.8 GHz is a free band in your area, I guess.

If someone else in your neighbourhood bought some gear, you are just experiencing the greatness of 'free band' radio.

Can you select another channel ?

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

JR North

"lizch" wrote in news:1149738315.656866.275420 @j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Time for a little detective work to isolate the problem. Since you have

5 handsets, bring two of the ones without static upstairs and see if they have static too. If they don't, then the problem lies in the handsets with static. If they do, then the problem is either poor signal from the base station or interference.

Temporarily move the base station upstairs to one of the static locations. Does the static go away? If so, take a handset downstairs to the former location of the base station. Is there static? If so, it's a problem of the signal being blocked between upstairs and down. The question then is why did it work OK in the past. Changed location of base station? Antenna blocked by a metal object?

If the static doesn't go away, there is some kind of radio-frequency interference upstairs. Try unplugging everything electric upstairs, one at a time, and turning off anything battery-powered (smoke or CO2 alarms). If there's still static, it's time to turn off the house circuit breakers, one by one, to see if it's coming from the house wiring itself. (Of course, keeping the base station powered up.)

Have fun!

Reply to
Jim Land

Many thanks to all for good suggestions. I will perform detective work over the weekend and report back.

Liz

Jim Land (NO SPAM) wrote:

Reply to
lizch