Squirrel -cage motor noisy.

4-pole 3Ph squirrel -cage motor noisy.

A loud buzzing noise has developed over the past

12 months. The motor is not overheating, nor are the bearings.

Is this serious? Peter

Reply to
Peter Jason

Loose wires within a coil? douse with kopal varnish?

Reply to
N_Cook

Squirrel wants out? (Well someone had to say it...)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Some of these motors are bolted together. Tighten the bolts if you can reach them. Then, as noted, the coils can work loose from the laminations. Varnish, or thin Super Glue might work for that.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

The bearings may not be hot but they can still get noisy.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Maybe some WD40 would help.

Reply to
Look165

Is it being powered by clean sine 50/60 Hz or some sort of dirty chopped/synthesised 3 phase via a converter?

Reply to
N_Cook

I tried pouring oil down its nose, but the noise never changes. :-)))

Reply to
Peter Jason

We have no choppers. And other squirrel motors on the same power system are quiet as ever.

Reply to
Peter Jason

If it has a phase-shift capacitor, that has probably changed value and is on the way to failing. Substitute another one of as near the right value as possible and see if that stops or alters the noise. (Make sure the capacitor is discharged each time before touching it.)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

My apologies, I didn't spot that you had said it was 3Ph.

It could be one phase disconnected, although that probably would make more of a hum than a buzz. Laminations could be working loose in the rotor or the windings working loose in the stator; the former will be more likely to change on load or pulsate at slip frequency.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk