Splattering solder into eye?

Has anyone ever actually been unlucky enough to get solder splattering into their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?

Confuscious say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Not bad, you may just loose your eye. WEAR SAFTY GLASSES!

Reply to
WW

It's quite a small risk, so I've never bothered. I only use a soldering iron perhaps once a month, and have done for 20 years. In all that time not one piece has hit my eye.

If it lands on the skin, there is no mark left, and no lasting pain, so wouldn't I be fair to assume that the eye wouldn't be damaged any more than say a fly whacking into it while cycling?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com    http://www.petersphotos.com

Loose or missing nuts.  Spank the monkey (Y/N)?
Reply to
Peter Hucker

I had it happen once when I was unsoldering a wire from a terminal, and when it came loose, a small piece of solder hit my eye. I think I even heard it sizzle. Luckily, it was a small piece and it hit the white of the eye, so it did not affect my vision, and eventually it worked its way out. Since then, I always wear glasses. Of course, now I also wear them so I can see what I'm doing.

You should also always wear eye protection when cycling. A fly might not cause damage, but a bumblebee or other large insect could put an eye out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Do the eyelids not automatically close?

You mean it stayed there for a while? If it hits the skin, it usually knocks straight off.

Did it hurt?

:-)

I've never heard of any accidents or serious injuries resulting from stuff hitting a cyclist's eyes.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Don\'t waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Yes -- right on the piece of solder.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

hitting a cyclist's eyes.

It happens. Some states have laws for motorcyclists requiring them to wear eye protection while riding. I've worn eyeglasses for many years, so I've never had anything hit me in the eye while riding a bicycle. But when it does, it's going to be at the worst possible time.

Once I was leaning over the back of an open television set to squirt some tuner cleaner into it. Somehow that spray liquid shot back out through another hole in the mechanical tuner and managed to crawl over my glasses and hit me right smack in the eye. Yeah, it stung a little, but I did manage to wash it all out right away.

Solder joints are mysterious creatures. One that looks perfectly normal can literally explode when touched by a soldering iron. I sure wouldn't want a piece of hot solder, no matter how small, to hit me in MY eye. Stick a soldering iron into a head of lettuce if you want to know what it sounds like.

Reply to
Matt J. McCullar

changing

meanings.

I suspect it's mostly typos. But I've been seeing it very often for the past year or so.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

At what speed? I was talking about a bicycle.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

"It wasn't a misspelling -- it was a typo!"

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Your reactions aren't up to scratch then. They're supposed to close while the solder is flying towards you.

(( _______ _______ /\\O O\\ /O /\\ / \\ \\ / O /O \\ / O \\O____O\\ )) ((/_____O/ \\\\ /O / \\O O\\ / \\ / O / \\O O\\ O/ \\/_____O/ \\O____O\\/ )) )) ((

Reply to
Peter Hucker

MOTORcyclists travel faster.

I'm not even going to consider how you might accidentally throw the soldering IRON into your eye!

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Why do they rate a movie "R" for "adult language?"
The only people I hear using that language are teenagers.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

More reliance on spell checkers? I hate spell checkers. I just re-read what I wrote before sending, I find it quicker too.

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman
around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Please, typographical error.

A waiter brings the customer the steak he ordered with his thumb over the meat. "Are you crazy?" yelled the customer, "with your hand on my steak?" "What" answers the waiter, "You want it to fall on the floor again?"

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Spell checkers will catch stuff that you miss. Really.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

their eye? I've had it hit my leg, hand, and face, but never in my eye. How bad is it?

What's wrong, trolling a little slow in alt.usenet.kooks?

idiotic cross post line snecked

alt.electronics,comp.sci.electronics,news.electronics.basics, sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basic,sci.electronics.basics, sci.electronics.misc,news.electronics.repair,rec.electronics,sci.electronics

Reply to
Meat Plow

solder is flying towards you.

How do you figure that, without knowing the velocity of the solder - or even whether one sees and reacts to it?

And, as to the idea you posted that a bicycle rider can close his eyelids fast enough - ridiculous. Even an occasional rider can easily hit 40 mph or more downhill, the object can be launched from a car's tire at high speed, a bug may come from the side etc.

You have no way of knowing whether his - or your - reactions are fast enough for the eyelids to protect from solder splatter or airborne objects/bugs/whatever while bicycle riding, because you don't have any data on the speed at which the object approaches the eye or the distance it must travel or even whether the conditions allow the eye to detect the approaching object. Sheesh! Even people walking have gotten stuff in their eyes, blown by a gust of wind or whatever.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Methinks we may be dealing with a troll here, but eye protection while operating a vehicle, whether motorized or not, is important for maintaining control as well as protection from eye injury. The eye rapidly repairs corneal abrasions, and I have heard that it is the fastest-healing part of the body. Here is an interesting link:

You are probably going to be injured much more seriously by losing control of your vehicle, rather than the direct result of a foreign object hitting the eye. It may be unlikely that both eyes would be compromised at the same time, but it could happen.

If you get steel slivers in your eye, you can use an eye magnet:

And, your government grant dollars at work:

More on eye safety:

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

CHA CHING!!!

Peter Hucker, one of Usenet's most prolific trolls.

Nothing wrong with a little trolling under the right circumstances but Peter takes it to the extreme.

Reply to
Meat Plow