speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

Now let me start off by saying that I have no intention of operating a
175W MV lamp with the envelope smashed as the guy does in the video
you're about to see, but....

What fascinates me is that he seems to ignite and operate the MV lamp
without a ballast using a standard incandescent and capacitor.  The
incandescent looks like it is wired in series with the bulb and the
capacitor in parallel.  Here is where he explains it in the video:

https://youtu.be/WjKkgkbRSgY?t73%

The question is, I don't have a ballast either and I would like to try
out a standard 175 W MV lamp in my backyard briefly before investing in
a standard ballast.  How would I go about calculating incandescent size
and capacitance?  In the video, he is using 20 uF, but I think that's
for a much larger bulb if I'm not mistaken.  Thanks.

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

he uses a lightbulb as ballast to limit current. No cap that I saw.

NT

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

So the little blue round object at the bottom left of screen is not a
capacitor?  Sure looks like it with the two posts sticking up from it,
but maybe not.

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

The

o:
in

nt size

hat's

 it,

Never mind, I guess that's the plug for the incandescent bulb.  It seems

like that's all he has in series with the MV lamp then, an incandescent
bulb to act as ballast.  Any more details on this would be appreciated.

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

The

o:
in

nt size

hat's

 it,

the only other detail one could add is that the discharge is snaking. IIRC,
 and can't be sure, that comes from underrunning the discharge, which often
 affects lamp life.

He makes the mistake of opening the window: let the ozone do its job.

NT

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

Sufficient atmospheric ozone to kill bacteria by exposure will pretty much destroy any rubber materials, attack many plastics, harm many plants and much worse.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

Further to this, so-called "air cleaners" based on ozone are very similar to bug-zappers. They do not work, they can (and often do) cause harm and are generally worthless.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

I have seen long term damage, an  example, ozone fish tank bubbler.
Damaged varnish off back wood wall. Short tern cleansing I have not seen
any signs. I have two ozoners, not the air fresheners. After 1 hour turned
off, a room will have a cleansed smell, no odors. Odors can reseep out of
wood etc. and may have to do again later. Sunlight creates ozone cleaning,
and my mothers clothes dryer ozone bulb turned the wash into smells like on
clothesline smell.

Greg

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

The 'how is ozone harmful' section is pretty iffy. I've not read furtheer.

NT

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

Maybe if you had read past the title.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

The 'how is ozone harmful' section is a fair way past the title

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

.

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts can cause
chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. Ozone may
also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the
ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in
their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respir
atory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone.
Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be in
haled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects.

Ozone is a toxic gas with vastly different chemical and toxicological prope
rties from oxygen. Several federal agencies have established health standar
ds or recommendations to limit human exposure to ozone. These exposure limi
ts are summarized in Table 1.

That is "iffy"? You are, truly, a 'piece of work'.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

er.
e chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. Ozone ma
y also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise th
e ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely i
n their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with resp
iratory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone
. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be
inhaled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects.
perties from oxygen. Several federal agencies have established health stand
ards or recommendations to limit human exposure to ozone. These exposure li
mits are summarized in Table 1.

It reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide gag, where a useful substance (wat
er) is described as if it were a terrible killer that should be eradicated.
 It's like saying floods kill people in India every decade so we should not
 have tap water. It relies on the reader's lack of knowledge of the subject
.

I think that says more about you than me.

NT

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

But we're not talking about dihydrogen monoxide.
We're talking about ozone which does indeed have serious
health effects.
When I was a kid growing up in Los Angeles in the late '50s
and early '60s, we'd have "ozone days".
School was canceled. It hurt to take  deep breath.

Peter is right, you are  piece of work.
You consistently ignore facts and continue to argue.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I have come to the conclusion that no reasonable person should stand in the way of any individual whose heart is set on earning a Darwin Award.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

At the risk of stating the obvious, everything is toxic in excess.

on the contrary, until facts are established I'm likely to have more knowledge re ozone than you. Too many folk are naive about medical info.

NT

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

I remember first time I drove down into LA basin from High Desert. Ozone
smell very strong.

Greg

Re: speaking of germicidal MV lamps, I have a question.....

The capacitor is here to correct the power factor of the ballast.
For a test it is not necessary.

I used one of those lamps for lighting in the early ages of
amateur video.
It took several minutes to reach normal brightness.
Today with LED they are useless.
Even with their envelope intact those lamps are not designed to
be looked at at close range .
Use of sun glasses is a good idea.

Site Timeline