speaker wire to RCA phono connector-- can this be used for power purposes too?

I see these all over Ebay:

They might be perfect for a project I have, except I want to use them to transfer power of around 12 VDC @ 1 amp between components. Will these connectors work for that, or is there truly a "balun" that's maybe a coil of wire that would burn up when used for a power purpose?

Thank you, John

Reply to
John Abnarthy

On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 8:48:04 AM UTC-4, John Abnarthy wrote: or is there truly a "balun" that's maybe a

Yes, and yes, it would.

Keep in mind that an RCA plug is a particularly wretched option for transferring power as it has exposed surfaces that may be shorted very easily. Yes, it may be only 12V, but still not a good idea.

I suggest either you use a standard barrel-type plug as with many wall-warts these days, or a phono-jack such as what was used in bygone days. These are much more difficult to short.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I did see some that looked to be the same with the word balun in it. I doubt any of those would have an actual balun type of transformer in them. At the price they show, I would give them a try, especially looking at the ones that do not hae the word balun in the description.

They probably use the word balun to describe going from a ballanced 2 wire system to one that is not ballanced.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

These *are* transformer-based devices and not designed for any level of current other than AV signal currents.

Apart from all that, using an RCA jack or plug for the stated purpose is just not a very good solution in the first place.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Fast answer as I run out the door. Yes, there's a balun inside. This is the BNC version, but the phono plug variety is the same. Scroll down for the wiring diagram.

I've used these by the bucket load for security camera installations. Plan on about 5% of what you buy being defective in some manner.

However, they are NOT made to handle DC. The transformer shorts the line at both ends. See wiring diagram above. Also, there's no such thing a speaker wire as I've seen speakers fed with almost every gauge of wire available.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you disclose what you're trying to accomplish and what you have to work with? There are similar device made to handle DC over (for example) CAT5 without shoving DC through a transformer (and causing the core to saturate).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

** Not usable, as others have said already.

2-pin microphone plugs and sockets make excellent DC power connectors - low cost, polarised, short cct proof and very sturdy.

$/502-Pin-Female-Microphone-Plug-Ham-Radio-CB-MicF2PIN-_57.jpg

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I would use these CCTV power connectors:

2-1-x-5-5mm-DC-Power-12V-Male-Female-Jack-Adapter-Plug-Connector-for-CCTV-Camera

Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to