spark generator demo

Just wanted to share the demo for the spark generator in its new housing. The sparks you see are about 110 mm.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Reply to
Jim Horton

So.... what "housing" would that be, then?

Cursitor Doom

And how did the wire sealing go?

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Is it FCC compliant?

Reply to
Chris

The new housing turned out to be a smaller PVC junction box that fits inside the larger one you see in the video. Originally, I thought the larger one had developed leaks either from the side or bottom, so removed the oil and cleaned it, then sealed the insides where I thought the leaks were coming from. What I really think happened though was that I didn't account for expansion of the mineral oil and it ended up seeping under the cover during hot periods. Anyway, the new, smaller box, should it leak, will be caught by the old that surrounds it for far less mess.

Reply to
Jim Horton

I ended up surrounding the HV exit wiring from the box with heavy duck tape, formed into a circle, and the wiring in the center. Then, I poured in epoxy to a depth of 1/2". That formed the new insulator and extra sealing. You can't see it in the video though as all that is shown are the HV wires coming through the larger containment PVC box and up alongside the electrode posts. It is only rated 40 KV TV wiring (like used for TV HV multipliers), so I have to keep my hands away or will get weakly sparked.

Reply to
Jim Horton

When I built the device years ago, it had the necessary filtering. In fact, when I showed this demo, it wasn't even removed from the shelving where I have it stored, and plugged in to the same strip that shares the desktop, monitors, and router. They all lie about 8 feet away from the device.

Reply to
Jim Horton

In

res

from

That being said, I would have *never* tried this feat with a Tesla coil I own. Actually, more of a "violet ray" generator-- a portable hand held Tesla coil to check for vacuum leaks and such or for demos. That one, I bought new. It would have greatly interfered plugged into the same outlet as everything else and only produces 2" sparks but at a much

higher frequency.

Reply to
Jim Horton

By the way, for the people who suggested retaining paraffin instead of going back to mineral oil, I am actually too curious to let that go! If

I can find two HEI coils at the junk yard for cheap, I am going to simply use an old tupperware or even dollar store container for housing,

and then use the stove and oven once again for paraffin potting. I'll be able to easily swap out my existing container for a wax filled one without having to build all new circuitry. So, if I hurry and pot it before it starts getting really cold here, I'll be able to see how it held up over winter when I check it out next summer. As I said before, where I have the demonstrator stored isn't under the best of climate control, so temps will range from upper 40's to high 80's depending on time of year.

Reply to
Jim Horton

The main difference is no one's ever heard of an "Oudin coil" :-)

Cursitor Doom

You mean you've never heard of it. In the words of Jon Stewart, "You can look this shit up you know."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Obviously. But what I said still stands. Everyone's at least *heard of* Tesla coils even if they don't know what they are.

Cursitor Doom

Actually, the so-called "violet ray" device I have and a "Tesla" coil I used to have were both made by Electro Technic. Both devices used almost the same components throughout which consisted of an adjustable vibrator/ kicker which drove a resonant coil/ capacitor. The only difference was in the main coils: the hand held vacuum checker (aka violet ray) used a wax/ epoxy potted coil whereas their "Tesla" coil used a single air coil would around a plastic form. Both of the devices operated on identical frequencies and would give a slight shock/ burn, but neither were dangerous. In fact, I built their portable Tesla coil myself year ago, using both parts from them and ones I had lying around. I still have all the parts to build another someday as I sold the original. And I have several of the hand held coils in my drawers. Only one is assembled, but there are parts for others. I always considered them as close to "safe" as anyone was going to get because the 2" sparks really are weak just in case kids or others decide to touch one (and they have plenty of times!). My spark generator device I recently rehoused though is a different animal entirely. You definitely DON'T want any of the direct sparks touching you. Even when I'm struck with the weaker sparks through the HV tv wire, I really feel it. So, other than for demos and me using the device the entire time, no one gets around it.

Now I should point out that my Electro Technic coils and parts are not that old and it's quite possible that original, antique violet ray devices used a different set up as I've never come across one to investigate for sure.

Reply to
Jim Horton

Here's a quick demo of the hand held spark vacuum tester sparking to my thumb. Note that when I have this operating it is no where near anything electronic as the interference has had negative results in the past:

Jim Horton

The main difference between antique & modern violet rays is the oldies use a self-oscillating relay, new ones use electronics to drive the coil.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr