Sorting out thwarted network connection.

The objective is to add a laptop running XP-SP3 to an empty socket on the VM hub.

There are several possible causes - I don't know which one/how many are stopping the gubbins up.

VM may not allow XP on their network, but I've been told any OS should work as long as I have the DCHP settings right - I could do with a hint where to look for that.

Last time I experimented with Linux, it somehow got online without me entering any UN or PW - I think I got those right, but if Linux can sort that out its one point in favour.

I'm aware that Ethernet cables come in straight and crossover configurations. The one on my tower PC obviously works, but I don't know if its any better for the laptop than the one I tried - its a lot of hassle to get at the back of the tower.

Any help would be appreciated to narrow down which cause(s) are stopping things.

Thanks.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot

I'm so glad I'm not on virgin.