Sony TV model KV-24FV10 set from hell

I got this set in after a storm. There was a black flash burn on the board across the AC line terminals. When turn on is attempted the relay clicks about twice every second. I have checked just about every component on the power supply board. I have replaced the following components, (Some of which didn't seem bad when comparing them to new replacements with an ohm meter) but I replaced them anyway: IC602, (SE135) R648, (2.2K) D606, (TF541M) PH600, (PC123) IC601, (STRF6626) I've had this pig almost two months now so it is a total loss as far as trying to make any money on it but I would at least like to try to get my parts value out of it and maybe preserve a little dignity. I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this clicking relay symptom. Did I miss something? Can any one help me with any ideas and perhaps a schematic? Thanks for any assistance with this. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Anything hit by lightning should be written off, (at least if initial replacement of the rectifier, fuse etc. does not cure it) - its time and money down the drain. In my experience, equipment subjected to storms usually has all manner of unpredictable faults arise sooner or later. toss it and save yourself wasting any more time than you have already with this heap.

I can appreciate what you're saying however I would like to NOT have to cut my losses if possible. So if anyone else has any other thoughts other than giving up on it please let me know. Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Well my friend I wish you all the luck in the world. I would suspect multiple faults after reading that the voltage spike was sufficient to arc across the AC terminals. I've worked on many various consumer electronic devices being formerly employed by a major brand warranty repair facility. My experience with electronics exposed to proximity lightning surges is that they usually are a lost cause. You have a surge that again was sufficient to not only arc across the AC input but to cause burning on the board. I wouldn't even venture to guess how many thousands of instantaneous volts it took to do that but I would guess as to what kind of havoc that potent of a surge wreaked upon the circuitry downstream. Sorry I didn't have anything encouraging to say.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Try putting a jumper across the relay. This will at least allow you to see what the set does when it's forced on. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

We found that any electronics device that has been hit by lightning can have too many faults, and be unreliable.

As from what I see, you have been putting in a lot of time, and a few dollars. This is no worth the effort, especially on such an old set. For the effort you put in to it, you could have done some work that would make enough money to go out and get a nice working TV set!

--
Jerry G.
======

I fully agree with you. When I was working in the service business, I have see this type of thing before. Especially in a modern TV set, there are many CMOS devices, and computer type devices, that the possibility of damage is very far up scale!

In the old tube days, the devices on the chassis were not very sensitive a like today. With some patients and a fair amount of dollars the set would usually be serviceable. But, these were vacuum tube sets with heavy type components. In these old tube sets, the TV would have had to take a very big lightning hit in order to not be serviceable.

--
Jerry G.
======
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry G.

I have a feeling that when he does that, the horizontal out put will go up in smoke! Sometimes this relay cycles, because there are no drive pulses getting to the horizontal and or vertical output stages. There are many things that can stop the drive pulses.

--
Jerry G.
======
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry G.

I had a tube set come in for service years ago that got hit with a lightning surge. All it did was fuse the on/off switch contacts together. The set wasn't even on at the time and the customer reported that the set "turned itself on during the storm then refused to shut off" LOL

But back to the subject, yes today's modern marvel tv sets are full of cmos, nvram, eprom stuff that don't take too kindly to static let alone an intense burst of energy from a lightning hit.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I've never seen a Sony damaged from lack of horizontal drive (except when it loses it intermittently while it's running). If it does blow the HOT, at least he'll know where to look next rather than wasting more time on the power supply. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I tried first putting a 100W bulb across the relay. (I was also afraid of smoking the HOT), but it just barely lit with each click. so at least nothing is shorted. Then I jumped it with a clip lead. Still nothing. Difficult to tell why there is apparently no drive. Maybe I should give up on this one. Sucks to give up though. Thanks for everyones advice. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

I have also worked on alot of lightning hit stuff . It can ruin IC chips in a way you will never find all the bad ones .

Reply to
Ken G.

You didn't replace the relay?

Reply to
Steven

Go away Skippy. Leave the troubleshooting to people who have an idea what they are doing. Go play in th street, and leave the adults alone.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell