SONY TV Channel Display Won't Go Away!

Just added Direct TV to a SONY KV27V10. via its RF connection

But, ever since then, the SONY's On Screen Channel Display will not go away

Nothing in the "consumer" menu helps.

Is there a "secret" or "service" menu I can access to fix this problem?

Or is this a service call type of problem?

Reply to
Zentraleinheit

Hit display button on remote control or sometimes exit.

Reply to
kip

away

Did you inadvertently press the "display" button on your Sony TV remote? Press it again and it should go off.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

It may not be a design flaw or a problem at all. Some TVs are designed such that the channel number display is on-screen as long as the set remains on. I once saw a small Magnavox TV that showed the channel number all the time; there may be others with the same type of OSD (onscreen display) design. If you have the instruction manual for your Sony set, I'd look there for instructions as to how to display or hide the OSD, using the set's own front-panel controls.

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

On the Sony remote, press Display, and wait about 1 second. The display mode should change, and you should be able to cycle through it to turn it off.

With some of the Sony models, if there is something in the signal that the set does not like, the channel number in the display will remain lit. Signal defects can be low amplitude of the sync pulses, the colour burst being out of specs, the blanking pulses out of specs, and etc.

You can verify this by connecting the set directly to a known working video source, such as your DVD player. If the channel indication goes out, you know that the source you had connected your set to is not very good.

--

JANA
_____

"Zentraleinheit"  wrote in message
Just added Direct TV to a SONY KV27V10. via its RF connection

But, ever since then, the SONY's  On Screen Channel Display will not go away

Nothing in  the "consumer" menu helps.

Is there a  "secret" or "service" menu I can access to fix this problem?

Or is this a  service call type of problem?
Reply to
JANA

On all Sony models, the channel number and all displays can be turned off. If the signal going to the set is out of specs, many of the Sony models will display the channel or input source ID until the situation is corrected.

--

JANA _____

It may not be a design flaw or a problem at all. Some TVs are designed such that the channel number display is on-screen as long as the set remains on. I once saw a small Magnavox TV that showed the channel number all the time; there may be others with the same type of OSD (onscreen display) design. If you have the instruction manual for your Sony set, I'd look there for instructions as to how to display or hide the OSD, using the set's own front-panel controls.

Reply to
JANA

away

Try this....put the Direct TV remote in TV mode. Then slowly hit every button on the remote, except power. One of the buttons will be a dual purpose button, that will cause the display to go off. In tv mode, that button will henceforth be known as "DISPLAY" As soon as you figure this out, and while the TV is still working, sell the TV. It has that 4 letter word on the front of it...sony.

Reply to
Deke

If you hook it up to an antenna does it still have the channel number stuck in the corner?

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy