Sony Trinitron TV not accepting IR remote control

I have a 27" Trinitron that has been working great for years (6-7yrs old??).

5 days ago I noticed it would stop accepting commands from the remote. Over the pat 5 day I have figured out its pattern: If left setting (on or off) for a good 10-20 minutes, it will accept about 9 or 10 commands from the remote, then it stops. You then must wait aporx 8 seconds before it will accept another command. If you try to give a command within this 8 seconds, you have to wait even longer, like 15 seconds, before it will accept again. If I give it about a full minute, it will accept 2 commands before stopping again. The TV being on or off makes no difference in these times. If turned off with the remote, you cannot turn it back on with the remote unless you wait the ~8 seconds! :)

It is not the remote or batteries. I have tried two different Sony remotes (one is brand new), and gobs of batteries, they all do exactly the same thing. I have also held the remote directly up to the IR port on the TV, and still no change. The buttons on the front of the TV work fine.

It is very weird how consistent the pattern above is.. any ideas? Using a 10' stick to punch the buttons on the front of the TV is not really an option. :) :) :)

I have only found one post about this exact symptom, and his solution was to turn the batteries around in the remote. I have to say this will do NOTHING since if you turn the batteries around they will not make contact in the remote, and is the same as just taking the batteries out (which has not fixed it. :-/ ).

Thanks- Colin

Reply to
colmor

I had an uncle who was really healthy and well for years, right up to the moment he died.

Accept it. It's dying. The next 2-3 years the CRT will age a lot. It'll be one thing after another as the components start to die. Get a new or newer TV. have you seen what kind of CRT TV you can get nowadays for not much money? Your eyes may be used to a well-aged tube, take a look at some new ones in modern sets.

New batteries?

If you rotate the batteries with your finger, that can clean up the oxidation on the contacts just enough to get a tiny trickle of current from nearly dead batteries. My Sony still had the original 1999 batteries that came with the remote, when i tossed it 3 weeks ago. I rotated them about 3 years ago and they lasted the rest of the set's life.

Reply to
mike.j.harvey

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha escrito:

Probably a bad solder joint in the IR receiver inside the TV, or a bad component inside the IR circuit. Don=B4t waste your time with new batteries or remotes, because you alreade stablished that the problem is with the TV.

A competent technician should be able to fix your TV without much trouble. If you like your TV and the image it produced, just repair it. No one toss a TV because a simple fault like yours.

Reply to
lsmartino

Agreed.

- Mike