Sony RDR 6210 recording DVD

Dumped so I thought I may as well have a go at lens cleaning and pot twiddling. Recognised No Disc but would eject all CD and DVD Cleaned lens but same Service manual out there for this, but nothing on the optical deck , presumably DR-02 IPT-2-1, no useful info out there Sony part number comes up as nothing

2 SMD presets available to twiddle near the lasers originally 302R and 470R readings Decreased both, so readings of 254R and 391 , no disc reading Turned up to 329R and 540R Now reads all CDs and 4 out of 5 times reads DVDs, I've not (wasted) a DVD-R on this yet. Continue twiddling a bit ? Would be nice to know what these 2 presets do, is there any convention in relation to closeness to the 2 lasers as to which one is which. Both are returned to ground.
Reply to
N_Cook

If the two pots are mounted on the optical block, then they are almost certainly the power pots for the two laser diodes. In my experience, increasing the laser power to get an optical block going again, is a very short term fix. The increase in laser current from the original nominal amount which produced the design output power, invariably seems to lead to total failure in fairly short order ...

Laser diodes are, I believe, quite critical in this respect, and are easily damaged from being over-driven. Probably a heat thing.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

in

ly

I was under the impression that it wasn't just a power issue but waveform as well. It may be possible to boost power by shotgunning it. I've done it with audio CD's and it sometimes does work but to achieve the proper waveform without a scope on it I think would be virtually impossible. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper