Sony KV27S15 - 10 minute delay after power on

I have Sony KV27S15 TV which has worked fine since 1995. It has a soft-start after power up, which delayed about 5-8 seconds before lighting up the CRT.

About 6-8 months ago, the delay began to gradually get longer and longer. The delay is now over 10 minutes from when the TV is first turned on before a picture comes on. Audio comes on instantly.

Even after the TV has been on for hours, changing channels will cause a blank screen for anywhere from 15-60 seconds, it varies.

Does anyone have a clue what circuit(s) I should be looking at to find the problem? I do have the schematics.

Thanks

Sean

Reply to
Sean Collins

Usually this starts to happen when the CRT is getting weak. You may be able to squeeze a few more months/years out of it by cranking up the G2 control a tad.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sean Collins: The schematics you have are not going to help you. More that likely the CRT is showing it age and lower emissions causing the internal circuitry to "wait" until the emissions are high enough before it unblanks the video. Start looking for a new television.... not worth installing a new CRT. electricitym

Reply to
electricitym

Troubleshoot the AKB circuit starting at the crt. Odds are very high that following Sony's procedure for the AKB will reveal a weak and out of balance gun in the picture tube. The proper fix is a new picture tube, simply not worth it.

Reply to
dkuhajda

ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

He can try to crank up the G2 pot, and power the filiment from ca. 8 or 9V !

I.

Reply to
Inty

able

We had a nasty trick of connecting a wire to the HV lead and flashing it on a grid to 'boost' the tube a bit. Kind of a cheap version of what some testers would do.

Was worth a try if the tube was nearly gone. Those were the days, eh? Who would do that stuff now?

NSM

The CRT is failing. Sometimes getting a CRT restoration done will get you another 6-8 months out of the set...sometimes a technician can do a setup adjustment and get the picture back for awhile, but the CRT is failing, I'm virtually certain.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

I had a couple of tricks to use the HV (through an HV probe) to blow away focus and G2 shorts. One was quite reliable, and the other was iffy, but I forget which...I think the G2 one was the iffy one, though.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Gentlemen:

Thanks very much for your advice. It would seem I'll be shopping for a new TV. Perhaps time for a nice LCD panel.

However, I'm an obstinate type, so I will try your suggestions to see what comes of it.

This leads me wonder to about quality and longevity of more recent electronics appliances. In the past year I have experienced 3 failures of televisions and computer monitors, all of the most recent vintage. Yet older TVs & monitors are still working.

1995 Sony KV27S15: CRT dying of old age ? 1999 Sony Trinitron 21" CRT monitor: horizontal deflection failed 2000 NEC/Mitsubishi 19" Diamondtron monitor: vertical deflection failed

Yet I have:

1985 NEC 15" TV: still going strong 1989 NEC 20" TV: still going strong 1989 NEC FG 15" monitor: still going strong 1989 RasterOps 20" Trinitron: Still working good, but dimmer than new 1990 HP 17" Trinitron monitor: still going strong 1991 Magnavox 15" TV: still going strong

Was there a big shift in quality in the early '90s, or are larger displays more prone to failures?

Thanks again

Sean

Reply to
Sean Collins

I think many people at least theorize that it's the battle to satisfy consumer desires for low prices. It started before 1995, though, and that Sony CRT thing is very common, and it seems to always be the green cathode that is the problem.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Wal-Mart. When you have low, low prices you usually have low, low quality (and wages).

NSM

"Tom MacIntyre" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Why discourage he ? ;-) If you power the filiment from 12V and restaurate the CRT it can last for about two years...

I.

Reply to
Inty

Problem is fixed for now!

A slight tweak of the G2 pot, and it's back to 8-9 seconds after power on, and channel changes are almost instantaneous again.

It's bought me enough time to shop frugally for a new one.

Thanks a million!

Sean

Reply to
Sean Collins

Simply telling the truth, based on my experience. The restores I've done on these CRT's generally bought about 6 months give or take, and you'd get away with it 3 times at the most. Any hike in filament voltage, while possibly lengthening the useful life of the CRT, is shortening the actual life of the filament coating. My experience on sets that I have performed these procedures on.

Nowhere did I say to not bother trying to keep it going...if it was mine, I would give it some time and effort.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre